When is your next anniversary?

I cannot remember a damn day I did not drink alcohol for a week and today marks 1 year of no drinking :slight_smile:

Here is my story
Not sure how I started but it sure was fun getting drunk the first few times and vividly remember my first drink was a Wine Cooler, a few days after an old school mate poured beer in my face even though I told him I don’t drink.

Just like most people it was weekends and parties only in the beginning and then a few exceptions. Exceptions are - I am on a holiday, out for a movie why not a drink and the excuses ran out and it became a nightly event pretty soon in a few years

After that - I only drink 3 drinks(vodka or RUM), initially they were 30 ml each and towards the end they were 60 ml each after a few months and that continued for many years

My life in recovery can be summarized with a strong desire not to drink

What helped me

AA - The meetings, the serenity prayer, honesty and repetition helps create habits

Other Tools - Duh this App, YouTube, Netflix

Places - Avoided all the places I frequented to the bar

There were some good days, bad days and many sleepless nights with anxiety

Temptation - I changed jobs and my new team does not know I have a drinking past and I did not volunteer that information

What Helped

• Walking away from TV for the first few months during Alcohol commercials
  • Staying the least amount of time to eat dinner and watch a movie(excuse for leaving early was some thing else) afterwords at work parties
  • Podcasts, Apps
  • Talking to somebody about your feelings about not drinking(AA)

What did not

• Staying alone
  • People you know(not friends) who keep asking just 1 drink

What’s your story with Alchohol or Recovery? What worked and what did not?

13 Likes

Hi @kyalamanchi congratulations on a year that is fantastic…I am coming up to a year and half sober…I am doing my first triathlon tomorrow…and exercise has really helped me stay focused… it’s good doing something positive for your health…I know my body took some hammer so gonna look after it now… thanks for the post :grin:

3 Likes

I am very proud of you. I as well will be approaching a year in about 20 days. Glad to hear you are doing well, keep it going!

4 Likes

Heck yeah! Well done on 1 year. And no wonder; those sound like pointers for success! :+1: :muscle:

My next anniversary is when I go to bed sober tonight. I’ll be one more day sober than I was yesterday!

5 Likes

Congrats! 365 days of sober awesomeness

1 Like

Just flipped 7 day nicotine free…about to roll 60 alcohol free later tonight.

3 Likes

Congrats!! I have almost 16 months.
What didn’t work for me: thinking I could quit on my own, being too afraid to reach out for help, trying to set rules for myself to control my drinking (no drinking on weekdays, no hard alcohol, only drink after 5pm…none of those worked)
What works for me: AA, surrounding myself with sober friends and reaching out for help and connection, reading a lot about alcoholism, listening to recovery podcasts, working the steps with my sponsor, prayer and meditation.
:blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart:

3 Likes

Congratulations on a well worked for, and earned 1 year! Also thank you for sharing.

God willing, i will hit 2 years in July.

4 Likes

I just hit 10 months.
Will celebrate 1 year in July.

AA has saved my life.
More specifically… 90 in 90, phoning people from AA, sponsor who - while incredibly loving- would NOT cosign my bullshit.

Other things have helped as well… Journaling, learned to play guitar, changed from full time to part-time at work.

During early days - LOTS of rest. Patience. Some chocolate.

3 Likes

I’m about 2.5 months from my 30th anniversary. Trust me - if this crazy old fart can do it, anyone can!

3 Likes

My next anniversary is tomorrow. I take it day by day. Been working well for a bunch of months now.

Congrats on a year sober, life’s pretty damn good sober

4 Likes

What day in july Carla? Mine is the 30th. Your the only other person ive seen in July.

1 Like

Me and two others are 7-27-2018. So close, @jimmy7-30-17!

3 Likes

Such an inspiration. I will be at 21 days tomorrow…three weeks! Never thought I’d be here. Focusing on one day…one hour…one minute at a time. And hoping to go to my first AA Meeting this coming week. I’ve felt very alone. This group has really helped.

Congrats on one year​:muscle::two_hearts:

1 Like

July 15th will mark a year for me also

1 Like

Oh so awesome! Thank you!

1 Like

Cool Eric! Thats huge! Now im really looking forward to July.

July 16th.
@jimmy7-30-17. You are right I haven’t seen a lot of July on here either

1 Like

One month on Wednesday, May 29 2019!

2 Likes