When Life Burns Your Ship

Spanish Explorer/Soldier of Fortune Hernan Cortez landed in what is today Mexico, in 1519. His plan was to not only conquer new lands for Spain, his country, he sought to secure both fame and fortune for himself. That the land he wished to claim was already someone else’s empire (the Aztecs) mattered little, for if Cortez lacked anything, it wasn’t ambitious confidence. Upon establishing his party on the beach, he ordered his men to burn the ships that had carried them across the sea. For Cortez and his company there was only one direction open to them: forward.

I’ve shared how the pandemic has impacted my industry. The company I work for has seen its revenues contract 80%, and my income has taken a huge hit. Our customers aren’t in any great hurry to reopen. “Too much uncertainty” they say. Those who are open, are buying at a greatly reduced rate. It’s going to be a long time before my industry is operating at anything close to “normal”.

I have contemplated finding something else, moving into another industry, or maybe making my side-hustle my full-time effort. Maybe I’ll restart writing the book I had stepped away from, or getting those last two licenses required to be a certified financial planner.

What has prevented me from doing this is I had convinced myself that “something is better than nothing” during this time of uncertainty. The truth is a “small comfort” is just that…small.

Yesterday afternoon, I was invited to a meeting with the company president. He’s third-generation in this family business. We’ve known each other for over 20 years. I had a feeling I knew what was the purpose of the meeting, and it was confirmed this morning: He needs to cut payroll, and my position is being eliminated. He was having a very hard time doing this, given our history. I told him not to lose another moment’s worry over this, and instead focus on keeping his company afloat. I told him I would do right by him, and my customers to transition my accounts to whomever will pick them up.

As I started my car, I looked at the building, and I saw a burning ship. Not his ship. My ship. Life had just burned it. Only one direction open: forward. I am not entirely sure what lies beyond, where the jungle meets the shore, but I do know I will not find it standing on the beach.

So I shall go forward, and I will do it sober. I won’t drink, because I don’t drink. I am a non-drinker.

42 Likes

You know you will do it, I know you will do it!
Why?
Because you are a positive thinker Stevie!
Onwards and upwards my friend!

2 Likes

I wish you well on wherever your journey forward takes you. There are no uncertainties now related to that ship that brought you here, much like the certainty you have in being a non-drinker. Thank you for sharing your reflections - they are words that show how life’s events are managed with more strength and mindfulness without alcohol/drugs/etc.

3 Likes

Time for a new ship?. “You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore .” —André Gide. Happy exploring! :desert_island:

3 Likes

Your words and outlook on accepting life on it’s own terms are wonderful, Steve. I’m really glad to have you here and your input which is always thoughtful and on point.
I also have no doubt great things will be in your future, my friend.
:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::hugs:

4 Likes

Admire that outlook! Move to michigan…we can combine our talents…I will teach small arm tactics…you cover what you do when you run out of bullets!

8 Likes

Oh! I meant to add…absolutely write that book. Or anything! I truly enjoy reading your words.

2 Likes

It’s not often I say “you got this” as it’s a simple statement which glosses over a lot of hard work, both physical and mental, but in your case @Yoda-Stevie I feel confident in stating you got this.

Go well
tenor (17)

9 Likes

I think I speak for everyone here when I say: any sample extracts from that book are to be first published here!

In all earnestness Stevie, from what it sounds like you’re sailing through this new situation steadily and with open eyes, confident in your life, abilities and sobriety. I find this so inspiring. Thanks for sharing and keep us updated. :zap:

5 Likes

I am sorry about your job, no matter the circumstances, we rarely feel good when a job ends this way.

I am looking forward to hearing what comes next for you. I have every faith this next chapter will be a positive one, if by your sheer determination and strength alone!

4 Likes

I admire the way you’re handling this situation and wish you the best on your future endeavors. If you decide on the book, please share it with us. :heart:

4 Likes

I am sorry for you to hear this. I genuinely hope that life has something for you planned that is even better and i really trust that in a short period of time you will look back with a smile on your face. Best of luck!!

2 Likes

Wishing you the best Steve. I’m sure you’ll find what you need. Take care brother & keep us posted!

2 Likes

Moments like this can be looked at in two ways -a door just closed or…many just opened. I found this year of the great pause to be so eye opening-take this time to reflect and spend it doing what you want to be doing. Be kind to yourself, you will figure it out because you always have. :heart:

5 Likes

I had a similar thought to Emilie after reading your post Yoda, it was when one door closes, another always opens and, in my experience, that door usually closes when it does for good reason, because the one about to open, (that you choose to open) has a whole lot of good coming your way! I know your philosophies and faith will keep you strong during this transitional time :blush: I look forward to learning more from you as we travel the road of recovery together, sober, opening new doors. Cheers, mate.

6 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing… this is truly inspiring

1 Like

I had a co-worker say to me once that the best way to see the stars is when you’re laying flat on your back :heart: You’ll do great in your next endeavor, I know it!

7 Likes

I’m sorry to hear about that Steve…though…with the mind and outlook that you have, I only see this going good places…oh and I would definitely read your book if you wrote it :smile:

2 Likes

Move to Syracuse and I will hire you in a heartbeat. Pay isn’t great. Weather is worse. And I’m probably a shitty boss. If that doesn’t sell you I don’t know what will.

Seriously though, your attitude and perseverance will take you far in no matter what you do.

2 Likes

I’m sorry that you are going through this but I just know that where ever you go next you are going to be just fine! You are such an inspiration to me and many of us here. Life has big things planned for you my friend… buckle up cause this is going to be life changing!!! I wish you well and look forward to seeing where this leads you Steve. And as said above, if you go with writing the book… please share with us :pray:t2::two_hearts: