When we wonder why we do this

My three year old has a fever and a sore throat. He was up most of the night - cranky, restless…and wanting me to help him feel better. My Fitbit tauntingly tells me that I slept 3 hours, 4 minutes last night.

Recently, my five year old had a health scare that turned out to be fine. I was a nervous wreck in the interim, but I didn’t drink. I don’t drink today - no matter what.

I have trouble putting into words my gratitude for being sober today. The gift of waking up clear headed and able to be the loving, attentive mama that my little boys want and need is absolutely priceless. In finally being able to step outside the fuzzy haze of booze, I’ve found the joy in being able to show up fully for those I care about.

The gifts of sobriety are sometimes subtle - until I remember what life was like before. Many of you have heard me say what my sponsor told me early on. If you play your cards right, your children will never remember you as a drunk.

Holding my sleeping little one, I sit here with tears in my eyes as I realize, yet again, how thankful I am for this second chance to live as I should.

Thank you, all, for helping me stay sober today.

32 Likes

Thank you! You are such an inspiration and so helpful to me :hearts::hearts:

1 Like

Great post and an inspiration to all parents.
Thank you :pray:

1 Like

Beautiful post Holly! I’m right there with you on those nights lately and I’m so grateful I am sober. Thank you for the important reminder :heart:

2 Likes

You decided to be better, and now you are better. You won’t drink, because you don’t drink.
Keep getting better at getting better, dear lady.

1 Like

Ahhhhh😍 you are doing great! And what a wise words from your sponsor!

1 Like

I LOVE THIS!!! :two_hearts::heart::two_hearts: Thanks for sharing!!

1 Like

Truth!

Great post

1 Like

That quote from your sponsor hits home. One of the more profound things I’ve read on this forum. Thanks.

1 Like