Where did I find the money to spend on booze?

I quit the drink new years day, currently on day 15 and going strong. I am sorting my yearly income and outgoings out and I’m skint most weeks, I am off on two holidays mind, but I was wondering where I found the money from when I was drinking to get hold of drink. My only thought is I moved money around and didn’t pay certain bills one week and fudged the accounts whilst drunk. I said to my partner this evening I don’t think we could afford to drink even if we wanted to. Is anyone else in the same position? I was spending upwards of £100 a week on alcohol, now I’m not drinking I don’t seem to have the disposable (food bill has gone up from £50 a week to £80)

2 Likes

We will always find a way to finance our addiction. I usually spent about $350 a month on drink. Now I rarely drank outside of my home, so I’m sure I would have spent more if out, but $350 is a car payment. $350 is a months worth of groceries.

$350 deposited monthly in an IRA or mutual fund will help secure retirement.

I just deposited $350 into a vacation account and will do so every month until I celebrate 1 year sober. After that, I’m investing it.

I try not to think about all of the money I’ve drank over the last 24 years. I could have retired by now. It would depress me if I let it. But now I’m putting it away.

3 Likes

Yeah it’s amazing to me how I would complain about the price of groceries and how prices are so high but I had no problem spending tons of money on alcohol never questioning the price lol

3 Likes

Known situacion. I used to buy the cheapest food or not buy something cauz its too expensive and after few hours to spend double amount on booze. Stupid :slight_smile:

1 Like