Where do these feelings of going back, come from?

I’m trying to convince myself to not walk to town to get the high that I’ve been off of for 21 days. Not sure what to do.

2 Likes

It’s crazy isn’t it? I think it’s something to do with dopamine. Our lizard brain reaching for something that at one time gave us a burst of happy chemicals, possibly associated with a particular situation or emotion.

The lizard in our head does not understand that the one tiny moment of relief we may (or may not) get from that thing will also give us all of the unhappy consequences that we know follow. Our lizards cannot play the tape to the end. But we can :hugs:

Feed the lizard something else! I recently quit smoking cigarettes again and I have just been having all the sugar. A more healthy or wholesome approach would be to do something that genuinely makes you feel good - exercise, talk to a friend, read a book. Or just sit with the feeling of discomfort, accept it and let it pass - if you’re into the meditation and mindfulness stuff.

It’s a journey, find what works today and do that :blush:

6 Likes

THANK YOU :relaxed: I love that analogy!

1 Like

Haha yes I think of a greedy little dopamine gobbling lizard :rofl:

1 Like

I found this info useful :arrow_up:
Maybe it helps you too.

3 Likes

Our addict brains only remember the good stuff. Euphoric recall. We don’t remember the bad stuff until we are back in it over ur heads wondering how tf did I get here again. Stand your ground. Go to a meeting and share that shit.

3 Likes

That’s exactly it

1 Like