Where is everyone from? 2016 to present

NoVA weather has been pretty mild this winter, so one less thing to complain about in a sea of things to complain about. Yes, the cost of living is quickly approaching “Level: Insanity” my DC-metro “exurb” city has the highest property tax rate in the Commonwealth, and it’s getting ready to go up, since other local tax revenues are down due to COVID lockdowns. I loved this little city of 35,000 people when I moved here 22 years ago. We bought our house from my in-laws. They moved into the “in-laws suite” downstairs. My daughter sleeps in the same bedroom my wife had, when she was growing up. Still had that “small town USA” feel.

Now, there’s 60,000 people here. New condos and apartments going up every day. An older development of 90 small townhouses, great starter-homes, is being redeveloped into a 300 unit condo/apartment complex. Higher density requires more infrastructure and bigger schools, more taxes. Retirees can’t afford to live here, so life-long residents are leaving.

My wife was born here. My daughter was born here. As soon as my wife retires from her job in 8 years, we will leave here, and the day can’t get here soon enough for me.

1 Like

Awe sorry to hear :heart:…what neat memories!!.. yes its absolutely beautiful here! I love living in British columbia ! We get soooooo many tourist here from all over the world !

1 Like

REALLY!!! What part? I’m up north! Yay a fellow bc’er😊

1 Like

@Yoda-Stevie

That’s a pretty cool story, and yes the DC exburb area has become a setting for the “young and nimble” as my roommate calls it,

It really is sad as you already stated, lifelong residents build their whole life here only to be faced with leaving in their golden years. I’m honestly over NoVa already, its really a nice area but unless your a doctor or a politician, its not a viable live, build a family kinda life here

1 Like

One day I hope to be a grateful West Virginian, where I will live out the remainder of my portion of time in this world.

2 Likes

Oh it is soooooooooooo beautiful on the island ! I travel there in the summer to see family (pre covid) I love it ! Vancouver is nice as well! And you are completely right we live in the most beautiful province ever!!:heart::heart::canada:

1 Like

Yeah, I far from dont blame you.nicer area less nonsense and cost of living is fantastic in comparison

I was looking at homes in Falls Church/Fairfax and Vienna, even rental properties are insane. They are pushing out the good ole lifers in hopes of collecting more money truly is sad

1 Like

Cincinnati Ohio

1 Like

My father is from Lynchburg Virginia

3 Likes

My sister in law lives in Lynchburg. I’ve never been there but hoping to make the trip when covid dies down.

1 Like

It’s a up and coming city,I’ve been there a thousand times,have a lot of family there

1 Like

I like the down to earth atmosphere and the mountains

2 Likes

Phoenix az

1 Like

Your decently close to me im in the van surrounding area!

1 Like

Hi there just joined back on here and starting sober again. Looking to see if anyone is near by as I have no support groups or not attending meetings as I am 3 days sober. Let’s see where everyone is generally from!?

2 Likes

Brisbane, Australia

1 Like

There’s a thread for that. I think this is the most recent. The MODs will probably merge yours here anyway. But here’s a start for ya.
Welcome back.

3 Likes

Thank you! I’m in BC Canada

1 Like

Im from Sweden

2 Likes

Fiji :fiji: Island (Pacific Island)

2 Likes