Who am I, when I'm alone?

It’s a cold and lovely morning and I’m sitting in the hot tub. I woke up with a manically busy mind, struggling to focus, struggling to pause or pray. So I came to the garden. Sitting in the water the thought came to me
Who am I when I’m alone?
Who am I if I woke up on a desert Island and all of my many roles in life no longer existed. I had no duties, responsibilities, nothing. Just me , alone… who am I ?
After a few minutes the busyness subsided and I managed to drift to that place .
What I learned was without others there is no who, because there is no need to be a who.
I realised that in normal society I am many who’s. One for each situation.
Some of these situations require me to be very different versions of me. This creates discord and I brand myself a fake. But I am not a fake and nor are you. We are simply trying to create a who that is consistent in all situations. This is not possible. It does not make us bad or flawed, just a little mistaken at worst.
So today I urge you all, to take ten minutes with your eyes closed and ask, who am I when I am completely alone. Then go through the day safe in the Knowledge that Shakespeare was right … all the worlds a stage… and each must play their part (s)
Be kind to yourselves today my brothers and sister
Because Who you think you are is not really who you are at all.
You are so much more than that x

16 Likes

Brilliantly put my friend that can be likened to something buddha said it was something along the lines of letting go of that “who” as it puts u in the moment there can’t be a specific you as we change every day every min every second our body is changing so it’s a beautifully written bit from you. I will use it myself have a magical day x

2 Likes

I struggle with this. I am great in social situations but honestly when I’m alone I don’t know what to do with myself. I live for other people, to please them or impress them. Not sure I have any priorities for myself.

This has been a major factor in my drinking.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting that. I mean it. I’m only at ease by myself but I’m horrendous in any social situation. It’s refreshing to know someone with the exact opposite problem as me is struggling with the same things. Look up self construals and interdependent self construals if you find comfort in explanations. Maybe research the psychology of self worth across cultures. You might find some ways of thinking you didn’t know about. If I were you I’d go make friends with a sober loner. I’m sorry if none of this makes sense or seems off I’m getting disorganized and I need to crash.
-----I’d really try to keep an eye on what I’m thinking. Like is this thought making me feel better or worse? Am I taking the time and putting in the effort to properly enjoy what I’m doing right now? Does it matter what I’m doing? No it matters very little! and that’s a good thing! :grin: You’re about as free as a person can be these days! You can practice mindfulness and relaxation techniques all you want but I would try to find more things I like doing. Try to re-frame how you percieve the world. Where’s your sense of wonder? I’m just laying back on my futon after an extremely stressful family Xmas thing switching back and forth between this forum and netflix. Relearn how to take delight in simple things. Most of my problems are really just inconviences. And I’ve got some big damn inconviences! I like being by myself because I can get a much better handle on everything. Check out meetup.com it’s a site for doing everything from hiking to good board games with people your age.
-----Be proud of your independence. I’m the first person I go to when I need to feel good and I wasn’t always. You can get along with yourself better than anyone else can. Write your fears and insecurities down and they’ll get better. Or just write about anything you think of. It took a while just to get to this point but it has helped me a lot.

3 Likes

Wow. I absolutely love this! Very deep and quite true :heart:

2 Likes

When we co-create with GOD we are never alone.

3 Likes

Oh; I like that. Thank you for this reminder.

True, and beautifully put.
I personally find it so very difficult to be the authentic self, the co creator with the Divine on a Monday morning, with staff phoning in “sick”, clients bellowing demands, angry fellow travellers of overcrowded roads, every one in traffic angrily believing that everyone ELSE is traffic and my own anxiety peaking and troughing… but the who that I am when I am co creating with all there is, That’s the who of whom I speak and the alone (free of role playing and outwardly projected me) wherein I find him…

1 Like

Needed to read this 2day. Even tho it is days since you posted thank you @Irishpaul❣

2 Likes

Artnee…me too. Thank you for finding this!

1 Like