Who is your higher power/God as we understand Him?

Good answer

1 Like

Nice one! :facepunch:

1 Like

Thank you keep on doing what it is to keep you sober

I try to see myself as a part of the outside world, not something detached from it. If you think about it, the outside world is infinite and eternal, and when we die our bodies become part of it again. We have a short time to observe it as people. It brings me a lot of peace to sit back and remember that. The universe is my higher power I guess.

4 Likes

Thanks for this thread and all the thought provoking posts. I don’t think about a higher power, was raised by a Mexican ex-Catholic mom and an ex-Methodist agnostic dad, we didn’t go to church or really talk much about religion. Though some of the Mexican culture that is rooted in indigenous beliefs/spirituality and mysticism was certainly a part of my upbringing. That being said, I appreciate learning about other people’s belief/non-belief systems and definitely align with the “we are all connected” idea. I enjoy exploring astrology a bit and love Rob Brezsny’s freewillastrology.com. You won’t believe what my Aquarius horoscope was this week…on point for this thread and I guess I’ll be thinking and journaling on this some!

Years ago, comedian Lenny Bruce observed, “Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.” His statement is even truer today than it was then. Pew Research Center, a nonpartisan think tank, has gathered the concrete evidence. Church attendance was way down even before the pandemic struck. Now it’s even lower. What does this have to do with you? In my astrological opinion, the coming months will be prime time for you to build your intimate and unique relationship with God rather than with institutions that have formulaic notions about who and what God is. A similar principle will be active in other ways, as well. You’ll thrive by drawing energy from actual sources and firsthand experiences rather than from systems and ideologies that supposedly represent those sources and experiences.

3 Likes

religion is for people that don’t want to go to hell,spirituality is for people who have already been there.

3 Likes

I used to stress about this. I knew I didn’t believe e in the Judeo Christian God so what was going to be my higher power. Mother Nature? Forest Spirits? Group of Drunks???

In the end I just decided to let it go. I know there IS a higher power but I don’t know what it is yet. One day it will reveal itself to me. Until then I call it “God” but I don’t stress.

2 Likes

Religion was created by humans. All humans are flawed sinners. :pray:t2: :heart:

2 Likes

Almost two years sober and I’ve changed my beliefs quite a bit. I veer towards shamanism, wiccan, the occult (not santanism), and Mother Earth.

1 Like

“Prayer is more a matter of listening than talking”

“God can, by all means, eloquently and exquisitely be found on a mountain top or in the strains of beautiful music. God should be found in any and all beauty. But if that revelation is not then shared in some ritual, some liturgy, the chain reaction stops. The meaning then withers”

“Religion is human. At least the part that drives us nuts is human. It simply is mans best effort. No more. No less.”

From a lovely book I’m reading.
Recovering Catholics
What To Do When Religion Comes Between You And God.

2 Likes

That’s where Meditation comes in my friend… Listening to God’s answer or just being…great response