Who met their partner while not sober

I didn’t…

But spent most of our first dates / times together drunk … I regret this now and look back and wonder why she’s still with me :flushed:

2 Likes

Lol I met my husband drunk was so ashamed when I got sober but Im past that now. He loves me for who I am despite my drunken days or nights.
Part of being with someone is learning to be the best version of yourself so you can help them be the best version of themselves, visa versa.

2 Likes

Ha. Been with my wife for over 8 years. Been sober for 229 days. We partied our asses off early in our relationship. She got pregnant and slowed down and I kept on goin. She’s a Normie and I’m just not :grimacing:

3 Likes

I have 3 kids by 2 exes, and both those relationships were fueled by drinking. My ex husband was and is a man I find pretty annoying, but when I was drunk, I used to find him interesting. … sort of funny in retrospect, but it was years of misery. Other ex was a very very heavy drinker, a man I really didnt have a lot in common with beyond drink, and I used the drink to maintain denial. After that terrible experience, I was very deliberate about not wanting another addict/drinking relationship. Went on lots of sober dates, and I was able to weed out unsuitable people in clearminded way, because I was sober. Current bf doesnt drink. So much better…

2 Likes

Mother of a former student, three sport athlete at a D1 University, self employed, bought her first house at 22, beautiful, smart, I could go on and on. The biggest hindrance was my drinking.

She went out w me a few times about 7 years ago. Then again about 4 years ago (a few months before I got sober). We started dating abt 15 months after I got straight.

We’ve been married almost a year now. I always knew she was special; beyond special. I wasn’t happy that she wouldn’t date me seriously then, but today I am so happy she didn’t give me the chance to ruin what could have been.

6 Likes

I met my fiance during my heaviest drinking. I don’t know how he has stayed and put up with the numerous times I’ve messed up. It’s a miracle really. I still struggle but he’s very supportive and these days I try not to take him for granted.

2 Likes

I am 6 months sober today, and super single! I don’t think I’ve had a relationship that didn’t at least begin with a drunken night. Can’t even imagine a sober relationship, but hopefully it happens one day.

3 Likes

In the middle of messing up another relationship because I dove back into drinking. Teetering on the edge… he still lives at my place (he can’t just bail because of $). Part of me wants him to stick around so I can take it as some proof that I’m loveable even without having my vices under control. But I also think he’s seen too much self-destruction in a short period of time… it may be a wrap. What I actually want to happen is another issue entirely. I’m not sure if I am happy with him at the relationship’s best. I do want a fulfilling, supportive partnership, but I truly doubt I’ve done enough work with myself to reach that point in a healthy way. Sorry to babble… this topic and reading everyone’s experiences got my mind spinning :heart:

3 Likes

Yes I was in a bad place when I met my partner. Did well for a while to hide it but it’s now very much clear i have an alcohol issue. Currently trying to work through this with 100% support for which I’m grateful.

1 Like

I had just began drinking in an uhealthy manner when I met my girl, she got to watch me spiral out of control and has finally had enough. I’m in the process of trying to fix myself and win her back now.

2 Likes

I have my first girlfriend now and met her while sober. Im 27 now and never had a girlfriend. It is partly the reason why I used. I am the most happy man on earth now. Mostly because of the sober part.

1 Like