Why can't I stay away?

Drank yesterday. Pretty much all day. Thought I could handle it, but obviously not. I am so disappointed in myself. I couldnt even go an entire week without giving in. I feel numb. Why can’t I just stick with this ONE thing?

Maybe divert your thinking so you dont think of drink maybe change your habits or try to go to a meeting it helped me , wish you well

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback.

I do pretty well for a few days, and then I trick myself into thinking I can handle it.

I need a hobby.

2 Likes

I used to go to the gym when i first got sober i was young then ,walked alot it cleared my mind i went to meeting it helped aswell today i dont go to the gym now im a old guy now lol use gates now used to jump the fences

1 Like

Haha thanks for the ideas. How long have you been sober?

got sober on the 15th sept 1986 havnt had any reason to lift another drink

7 Likes

Thank you :relaxed:

I didn’t think it would be so hard. I lose motivation so fast and just give in. It is insanity. I’m just going in circles.

You not alone in the mini lapses, it has a tendency to happen to all of us, especially in early recovery. Just continue with the mindset “I choose not to drink anymore”.

This new lifestyle takes time to set in. It’s not automatic. We had so many routines and situations that we made alcohol a part of the equation. It’s hard to overwrite these action. It will take time, but you can do this!

1 Like

Thank you so much. I needed to hear that. I am starting to realize just how prominent alcohol has become in just everyday situations.

Trying to stay motivated and not get discouraged!

1 Like

I’m in the same boat! I feel for ya

Don’t beat yourself up, if sobriety was easy, nobody would be an addict, just remember easy does it. Literally take it day by day

Try not to beat yourself up. I would drink all day every day for weeks on end. Quit nearly 100 times. I find if you start being down on yourself that’s when the urge to drink is strongest.

Walking really is a lovely hobby. Simple but effective especially if you can find a nice route.

1 Like

You are not alone. You have got into a habit. There is loads of work going on at the moment into how the brain works. The evolutionary old instinctive part just wants gratification. Doesn’t think about consequences. Doesn’t think about the future. It tells you you want a drink. Need a drink. It’s the evolutionary new part that moderates behaviour but it’s a battle. Temptation against caution.

But the really important thing is that the brain is elastic. Can change. New pathways can open. Old ones whither. You are to some extent a creature of habit. Certain keys make your old brain react and demand a drink because that is what it has always done. So you need to gain new habits. The urge to drink arises because…whatever it is for you. When that whatever arises you need to learn a different response and to feel good about what you do. Some have mentioned going for a walk. Do it. And tell yourself how f’ing AWSOME you are for going to a walk. Feel good. Train that old part of your brain to react to stress or whatever it is by urging you to go for a walk or reach for a coffee or grab a bag of chocolate cookies. It can be done.

You are not alone or a freak or weak. You are just becoming a better stronger person. It will take effort but can be done and is worth it!

Good luck.

5 Likes

I feel you. I have quit alcohol on the 23rd. And today I really wanted a drink to calm me down. Because I’m so anxious, jumpy and moody. I went for a jog with my dog before dinner that seemed to get rid of those bad feelings a little. I still have the shakes. I’m really want to kick it this time. Because I feel like I’m going insane :frowning: I’m giving up a few other things too. Just finding it very hard. Like I’m in a dark tunnel. But I’ve heard that there is light at the end of it. That’s what they say!