Why do we still relapse?

Guys, I’ve been wondering. For us that still keep on relapsing and don’t have a solid ground yet , what is it actually that causes us to relapse? I mean we all know what’s gonna happen right after we relapse right? All those shitty feeling, worthless, hangovers, etc, yet we still fell into the trap. We already know what’s gonna happen yet we do it anyway.
Why?
Please share your thoughts below!

1 Like

I believe it is lack of discipline and over all resolve when it comes to changing ones life.

9 Likes

When I was going through my relapse phase it was because I wasn’t working a program. I have not relapsed since I started attending AA (or any 12 step program) and practicing the 12 steps.

6 Likes

Ah I see. How many days are you now?

1 Like

I bet it’s easier by joining such program right. Since I’m a rook in that therapy stuff (I’m addicted for quite some time but I barely knew about any therapy), what do you think the 1st step for me to join such therapy?

All my relapses came from fear…fear of doing what I really needed to do, if that makes sense. We always say that to truly recover you HAVE to get outside of your comfort zone, but that can be scary. But that comfortable place is where our addictions are. FINALLY I faced my fears and walked into a meeting of a 12-step program. I still have more fears to face…getting a sponsor is probably my biggest one…but just walking into the rooms made a huge difference. I am almost 6 months sober now whereas previously I never made it past 3 months (and I thought 3 months was huge!!)

Remember, if what you’ve been doing hasn’t worked in the past…why would it work today? You HAVE to do new things until you find the one that thing that does work.

8 Likes

Wow congrats on your 6 months! It is true that certain bad things can be the cause of our relapse, for me, it’s stress. Almost most of my relapse come from it. And do you mind tell me more about the 12 step program and the sponsor? I’m new to this kind of stuff, tbh I already addicted for some time but I barely knew a thing about it

Find the nearest meeting for your DOC and go

1 Like

Sadly, in my region, it’s a rare thing to see here. Especially in my city which is only a small city.

It seems to be the nature of true addiction as a brain disorder that after a certain point willpower is no longer enough and we need some outside support

5 Likes

Interesting thought. But I personally believe that if someone has a huge will to stop, it will stop no matter how hard it is and no matter how many stumbles he face in his journey. But the thing is that become a difficulty is the consistency. It is true that it’s easy to start, but to continue until finish? It’s another story, don’t you think?

1 Like

450 days off meth

4 Likes

I disagree.
I think if one is mentally tough enough to take control of their life they can beat their addiction. Unfortunately most people are weak af

3 Likes

Hmmm. I don’t know where you are but AA and other 12-step programs are worldwide…though I do understand that some cultures strongly disprove of substance abuse and are not open to recovery. You might be able to find things online.

I do not know what your addiction is (for me it is alcohol) but there is an “anonymous” group for just about everything. Alcohol, narcotics, cannibis, sex, codependants… I would try a google search for the parent organization and from there you should be able to find any local resources. If there are non local you should be able to get the program material (such as The Big Book for alcoholics anonymous) and read at home. You might even be able to find online meetings and sponsors.

There are also some online forums that will pair people with similar addictions together. It might not be a sponsor/sponsee type of situation…maybe more of an accountability partner. You look out for each other. Google will be your best friend here.

Keep posting. Asking questions is the best thing you can do.

2 Likes

Thank you for showing me the ropes! Anyway, I’m a PMO addict, and I’ve been hooked for about more than 3 years and it’s been tough fighting alone. The last 2 years I’ve discovered these online forums such as, facebook groups, whatsapp groups and somesort, but it barely talks about any therapy, I just know about it here. And I live in South East Asia country, here, PMO is a bit of a taboo topic to discuss and there is no such therapy available. So, I’ve been fighting alone and it’s proved very hard, that’s why I’m here guys

Well for many people it isn’t just an addiction. Many people used their doc to mask or get away from a problem or many of them. To dull feelings and escape reality. Not to say will power isn’t part of it, but getting sober for many isn’t just about will power. It’s about living and dealing with life on it’s terms. Not using any doc’s to escape reality. That’s where programs come in. They help people get to the bottom of the core issue as to why they used in the first place. Not everybody is the same.

14 Likes

Spent 20 years in addition until i started going to meetings and working the 12 steps… simple programme that works if u work it x

3 Likes

I know not everyone is the same which is why I find it disconcerting that so many responses from people to people is “go to a meeting” and I’m in no way disparaging the benefits of programs. I just believe we could all be more helpful towards one another and thier problems. If you get what I’m saying.

5 Likes

Honestly, I don’t and that’s ok.

3 Likes

I think if one is mentally tough enough to take control of their life they can beat their addiction. Unfortunately most people are weak af

I was mentally tough as hell. Way too tough. Ask anyone around me. Appeared to be holding it all together in a sea of chaos and fear, still winning state and national recognition at my job, being a bitch on wheels professionally because I believed no one worked as hard as I, still helping out friends, caregiving a chronic illness, raising two beautiful children - and escaping it all with booze.

My toughness nearly killed me. I couldn’t do it alone. On my own, trying to control and treat my own problems, I was doomed to keep drinking. No one could tell me anything - I already knew it all!

For ME, it was only when I realized that I had to have help…that I could not fix my addiction by myself…and that I had to let go of some of my own self will and control…it was only THEN that I was able to stop drinking. Each day, I have to have help. Each day, I have to do what I can to help others who suffer. Each day, I have to let go of my ego.

For me, meetings do help. For me, I have to have daily connection with others who understand my disease. For me, I have to understand that it is my own self will and control that will ultimately kill me if I I depend on it alone. For me, connection and realization that I am a tiny piece of a much bigger puzzle is key.

Just my two cents.

12 Likes