Why do you wanna drink?

Love what you said there! :sparkles::hugs::heart:

1 Like

I just recently realised that one of the reasons I was drinking (apart from just being addicted) is because the all consuming nature of it ( including all the endless fear, shame, hopelessness, despair) meant I didn’t have time/ energy to actually change anything in my life. This is also the reason I keep relapsing, because things gets scarily close to needing some change and I freak out.
This time the only thing I can think of to do is just allow myself to think that I will change it just not yet. Not till I get more sober days under my belt. Then it feels a bit less scary and risk of relapse-y

5 Likes

I drank to not feel anything. To avoid anything difficult. I had a lot of trauma from bad relationships and I was a prisoner of my own mind. Depressinon and anxiety as well as not being told at the age of 16 it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible to have a baby of my own. I drank instead of going to therapy and I ruined a huge chunk of my life doing so. I thank God everyday that I am sober!

5 Likes

How true this is. One of the reasons I quit, I was losing time to drinking and recovering from drinking, way too many days… I couldn’t do any of the stuff I actually wanted to do

2 Likes

I drank because I thought it would add excitement to my life. Alot of times it was for your reason, bordem at night. But I just kept drinking. & in the morning I’d be completely hungover and sick. If I drank during the day it would ruin my entire day and I wouldn’t have motivation to do anything. I would think I was gonna do cool shit when really I’d been running in circles obsessing over my next swig.
There are no good reasons and always lots of trying to convince yourself that there is. Damn you alcohol.

4 Likes

This was also me @EnoughsEnough. I could have written that.
Great thread. Just reading a few of these messages nudges the needle the right way.

1 Like

When we need an excuse to drink, any excuse will do.

To quote Jocko Willink, “All your excuses are lies.”

3 Likes

These were two huge reasons that I drank as well.

2 Likes

Did you see that one posted about HALT…acronym for Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired are all common triggers so if you recognize you’re tired, try going to bed early. Mine too used to be all reasons as stated above and drank non stop…boredom, lack of motivation and loneliness but also happiness, easier to socialize and most places, its just what you do with other people regardless of the occasion. That is…until it completely DESTROYS your life…then it doesn’t seem like such a good idea after all

3 Likes