Why is it so hard to stay sober and so dam easy to slip up....please respong yall😁😁

Why is staying sober so hard and relapse is so dam easy but hard to come out of…help.org

I do not know how long you manage to stay sober? But it is going to be easier if you have more sober days in your pocket.
For me I found the first 3 months the hardest.
What has helped me to overcome those 3 months? Being here every day since my day 1. Ask for help when I need it. Inform my family about my sober plan so they can support me. Avoid every alcohol related event the first months and no alcohol in my house. Read loads of books about recovery and listening to podcasts to learn about my addiction and how to beat it.
Today for me it is easy to stay sober. I focus on today and today nothing is worth drinking for.
Hope to see you around often and welcome here.

13 Likes

I think it is easy to not be sober because that is what you are used to. As you string together more days…and that does take a shit ton of effort and face it, anguish…then THAT becomes your life and easier to sustain the longer you remain sober. At least that has been my experience and I am in no way an expert…just how it has been for me.

8 Likes

The amount of dopamine and feel goos cemichals we get when we do dum shit is through the roof. Not to mention weve trained ourselves to be good at it lol soo many reasons this is justone😂

2 Likes

Thanks alot my fellow sobriety partner…your feedback helped tremendously :grin::grin:

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback…I have 15 days sober…feeling great just afraid of failure n relapse

2 Likes

15 days is amazing!!! I know how hard it can feel to string those days together, I hope you are proud of yourself. Take each day as it arrives. :heart:

1 Like

Same reason is easy to do bad than good.
Its easy to relapse cause we know how to get away with it rather than staying clean where you don’t know what the fuck you’re doing just kinda blind to it

1 Like

Couldn’t have said it better.

Like @Lil_Bit said outs easy and what we know.
Wanna celebrate, cope, unwind, relax, chill, or just for the hell of it… Using or drinking is what we know for all those things. The thing about sobriety though, is we have to learn how to do all those things above without our substance. That takes time.

2 Likes

Absolutely Graham, the substance/dopamine/buzz has been the escape route for so long, now we have to constantly decide if we really want or actually need to go down that (slippery, dead-end) route anymore.
Takes time, as you say; reaching out, making new friends and dropping those chains!
Keep going bro’ - we can do this!

I too am 15 days sober and it feels good. I too just hope I can keep it up with the help of everyone.

I think you’ve got more chance of finding the Holy grail, let me know when you find the answer.

what wires together fires together. we have done this enough that it has become automatic. every time we do not pick up or drink or snap, that to can become automatic. it gets easier with time. one day at a time for some one moment at a time.

Being sober is not the same as being sober and happy and content, it’s a lifestyle that requires you to live outside of your self , to put yourself out in the world , do things that make you happy , sociolize with others, help others when possible. For me AA and the 12 step really helped, also discovering a spiritual connection with a higher power of my understanding ( these is coming from a person who was agnostic and even atheist at times) and I find that prayer helps me not deal with things on my own , AA and the people I met there, my sponsor , all that keeps me fighting against my addiction for I’m not fighting alone