Why you shouldn't test the waters

@Mephistopheles thank you for the sincere response. Its been amazing how nobody (at least openly LOL) has judged me about this relapse… i thought i was going to get an ear full at this meeting tonight but 4 people came up to me and said they were really glad i showed up.

6 Likes

same. i always needed someone to try and keep up with me but it seemed like nobody could. so eventually that led to me just sitting at home, drinking, passing out, waking up, drinking, passing, isolating, ignoring people.

No way in the world anyone would or could ever judge you. We’re in the same battle. We’re on the same side :hugs:

5 Likes

Man, you have said everything in your post that I would have suggested may have led to your relapse. You see what happened is the great part.
You just had a little, tiny bit more research to do is all😉

3 Likes

I feel like at the time i had already planned to drink there was nobody in the WHOLE WORLD that would have stopped me even if i called them. Alcohol is definitly cunning, baffling and powerful…

its crazy that in the back of my head i knew i wasnt working my program like i should but i kept on going because “well i haven’t drank yet”. i guess now i know lol

2 Likes

Really needed to read this today.thank you for sharing.

2 Likes

I say that to people all the time. If there ever comes a time that I decide I’m gonna drink, there’s not a goddam thing anyone can do about it.
At the same time I have told newcomers to just call me before they take a drink. to this they say “so you can talk me out of it?” I say no, not at all. I will talk to you. I will listen to what’s going on. I will try to understand… Shit like that.
If we drink is totally up to us.

4 Likes

Years ago I got strung out on H again for a few months. My wife shipped me off to Idaho to clean up.
When I came back a month later I knew I was gonna use again. I wasn’t done and I knew it. I planned on getting high one more time.
Well that one more time lasted another 3 months.

It takes what it takes man

2 Likes

I just got a text from a woman in the meeting tonight saying " Listen to yourself, you have heard this same story from many others at our meetings, you are NOT unique, you have a disease like everyone else here does, feel it now and brush it off."

I finally realize what people mean at meetings when they say you arent unique. just thought i would share.

7 Likes

To me, everyone has a story, a struggle & a strength that I can learn from.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing this :purple_heart:

2 Likes

I’m glad you’re back man. Everyone has covered the rest.

Keep trudging dude.

4 Likes

@Steve92 Thank you so much for sharing your story, it just gave a me a kick up the bum , a reminder that no matter how many days I have got as @Yoda-Stevie always says I just have to say no to that first drink! Huge respect to you :smiley: :sunglasses::star_struck:

4 Likes

Thank you Steve, i read every word with great interest! I will make myself accountable because i am slipping too after 1year and 7 months…last week i said yes to two tasters of vegan baileys…stopped there…few days later i had some weed (not an issue for me but i wanted to get high- danger zone)… yesterday i smoked a cigarette after 5 clean years…im slipping, i can feel it…my family is coming over tomorrow for two weeks, adults are lovers of drink, so drink will be present… I’m writing this post to myself to make myself accountable…im getting my recovery book out and going back to the red zone!! (I was working on amber…) Thanks for sharing

5 Likes

Oh @Steve92 I am so sorry to hear that the pull of alcohol got you! Thank you for sharing your experience. It is such a strong reminder to us all, your self included that “just a couple” is never an option. But I have no doubt at all that you will pull yourself back from this and choose to embrace sobriety once again!
You will continue to fight the good fight One Day At A Time my friend :purple_heart:

3 Likes

Hello @Steve92, your list is great, I’m only on day 12 so I feel like I can learn a lot from you. And you’re right, everything you’ve learnt this far whilst sober is still there inside you, and you can draw on that. So whilst you may have had to reset its not like you have to relearn all those lessons, they’re still all there, which increases your chances of success this time! I read on another thread “every time I crave a drink, I thank god im sober right now” - I’m going to use that!

5 Likes

Thank you so so much for sharing this.

I absolutely agree with you. You’ve not lost ANY progress. You’re a different man to a year and 8 months ago. You put one foot in front of the other and you continue.

Well done mate. Sending hugs :hugs:

2 Likes

I had decided to have 2 drinks last night…I had myself fully convinced that I could go out on a Friday evening as normal and have 2… I decided that I would not read this forum yesterday. … for obvious reasons​:triumph::triumph: but I did… I read your post and tg I did… I did go out and I had 2 waters with lime… I woke today so happy. I am now on day 16. … u take care… :pray::pray:

7 Likes

Glad you got back to meetings , my late sponsor used to say the door dosn t always swing both ways wish you well

4 Likes

Hey @Steve92 welcome back. Sorry the alcohol demon-voice got to you this one time, but I like what the woman at your meeting said. Keep coming back here and keep going to meetings!

3 Likes