Why you shouldn't test the waters

Such a brave and thoughtful post @Steve92 and a reminder of what we all struggle with. I really appreciate your honesty. I am sorry you have been struggling, tho as Gabe says, it seems you needed a bit more research. I know for me, if I am going to drink or use no one no how gets in my way either.

I hope you know you can bring your worry here and muddle it thru. Not just hidden away in the lounge, we all learn from eachother.

Sounds like you and your girl both need some calm cool. Do you do any meditating or yoga? YouTube has some soothing 15 or 20 minute restorative yin yoga practices for stress and anxiety. They help settle me when I am feeling panic. Just a thought.

Sending hugs and strength your way.

Sassy

4 Likes

Going on a spur of the moment 3 day trip to a water/theme park. Packing my most important possessions :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Show off! Lol

1 Like

lol never. i just wanna make sure i bring some sober gear! i always get questioned by people when i wear the shirt/hoodie. its a great conversation starter.

3 Likes

Anyone else read grapevine magazine?

4 Likes

Love the shirt! Have fun and stay cool!

2 Likes

Yeah, I read em from time to time

2 Likes

The meeting before the one I Chair is real big on literature. They leave me with a table full of it to clean up sometimes. The Grapevine is usually on that table. They’re a cool read:)

2 Likes

I give a one year subscription to everyone I sponsor :+1:t3:

2 Likes

Lovin’ the shirt!!

1 Like

Hi, John- Your message seems like it was sent to me on purpose. I struggle with anxiety and have fallen off the cliff edge lately. I had a year and 10 days of sobriety, but started drinking again in mid-July and have been pretty much hard at it since then. I don’t have any illusions about moderation. I drink to get drunk and feel some relief. I know it’s not a solution, but I do it anyway. Guess that’s why it’s an addiction - and I’m an alcoholic.

I’m feeling pretty hopeless right now - not in a dangerous way, but I’m definitely stuck in a funk. Thank you for your message. I’m taking it to heart. Maybe tomorrow will be a better day.

Let me tell you one thing, drinking gave me ZERO relief. I was even anxious while drinking and didnt even feel the slightest good “buzz” I was looking for. It helped nothing and made everything 100x worse. The sooner you put down the drink, the sooner you can get your life on track and start living a better life. I know I messed up for 2 days but I stayed strong for over a year and 8 months and I do not plan on testing the waters again because it was in no way fun or a relief from anything. I turned my life around 180° these last 2 years and I am beyond lucky that I didnt completely destroy everything that I had built up during that time.

Please be safe and try not to post while drinking but if you have to you can make a topic under “seeking help”

Inbox me if you need a number

9 Likes

Someone at a meeting once said “it’s hard, damn near impossible to get drunk when you got a belly full of AA” and I have to say I agree with him. When you know drinking is the problem and not the solution it sucks, has none of the old effects of relief.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s super true. All I could think about was how shitty I was gonna feel the next day and how hard it was gonna be to tell everyone what I did.

1 Like

We made it by the way :smiley:

2 Likes

Yasss man. Just what the doctor ordered. Enjoy the shit out of it. Gotta unwind.

2 Likes

@Travis check this one out.

You’ve tested the “can I drink again” theory, and now you have your proof. “Never again” has that much more power behind it. You can march forward confident that you no longer have to answer the “what if” question, any longer. You now know with 100% certainty that a “next time” won’t be any different than “last time”.

3 Likes