Why's it so hard giving up alcohol, when it's all you can think about!

Alcohol on my mind 24/7

When did you quit? It’s all consuming for me at the beginning. I had a few resets but now my mindset is it’s a lifestyle choice. Period. I try not to think of romanticizing it because there’s nothing to miss.
How old is your boy?

4 Likes

I’ve been off drink for 4 days but it’s constantly on my mind 24/7. My little boy is 14 months

1 Like

Aww… I bet he’s a sweetie!
Yeah it’s gonna try to get you back on the drinking track, try to think of why you’re here and how great you’ll feel to get that monkey of your back.
You have a long road in front of you, he deserves your best!:blush::gift_heart:

1 Like

Think about all the shit it’s put you through. It gets way easier. Focus only on today, try not to future trip cuz that shit isn’t promised to anyone anyway.

4 Likes

I hope it gets easier

1 Like

He’s amazing, He’s one of the reasons why I’m trying to stop drinking, i want the best life for him

1 Like

Yup. I couldn’t agree with this more. Alcohol is poison that literally kills your brain and your body. It tricks us into thinking we miss it and want more of it because that’s what addictive substances do. There is no objective benefit to drinking. Our culture almost literally shoves alcohol down our throats because, hey, money. I mean, I wasn’t able to watch Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer with my kids without seeing a commercial for beer. I can’t walkt through the supermarket without a pretty girl offering me a sample of whatever gross new Bud Light they’re hawking this week. Of COURSE we think about it 24/7. That’s exactly what they want. Screw all of that. I won’t give them the pleasure. They can take their alcohol and shove it where the sun don’t shine (actually, that’s probably the next marketing campaign…alcohol suppositories).

I’m with you @Kevin_Alexander…some days it’s hard not to think about alcohol/sobriety all friggin day long. But then I start thinking about all of the stuff above and I get so angry. So yeah, I’m not so sure I’m handling this in a healthy manner yet, but damn…a culture that literally manufactures addiction and then stigmatizes its best customers. Eff everything about that. I’m done with that shit.

7 Likes

Don’t discount AA for an added support… the people in there all started out like you; they are so happy when new people come to their meetings! I’m sure you could find guys your age too… I’m rooting for you Kevin…!

4 Likes

Thank you for your support donna, i hope you’re doing okay

1 Like

Take it one day at a time! Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you :blush:

You got this bud. It gets easier the more days you get away from it. So just worry about today and deal with tomorrow tomorrow. And like Donna said, try a meeting if you haven’t. I didnt for my first 62 days but finally pushed myself to go on Tuesday and loved it. Planned to hit another today but woke up with an excruciating migraine. A bit disappointed but I’m planning for another one tomorrow. Keep yourself busy and it will pass.

2 Likes

I’ve got counseling next week about my drinking, so hopefully that helps me. You keep up the good work

2 Likes

Going onto day 9 here…didn’t think I could make it past day 3…but somehow…with the help of this forum actually…I did. One day at a time. Tomorrow will be a better day…and then tomorrow and then tomorrow.

Rooting for you mate. All the best to you and the little one! x

Well done on 9 days sober that’s brilliant mate, keep up the great work. Thanks for your kind words

Maybe try a meeting Kev might help you did for me wish you well

1 Like

You got this, man! The first couple weeks are the hardest. I hope counseling works for you. Honestly, I went to counseling for my drinking as well, but what helped me stay sober was AA. It’s really just a group of people who are addicts and they know exactly what you are going through and it’s the best support system ive ever found!

2 Likes

The only way my obsession with alcohol was lifted was going to AA and following the 12 step program. Have you considered it? Remember alcoholism is a progressive illness and it’ll only make your life worse if you don’t stop. Best off doing it before you lose everything

2 Likes