Wife hid booze from me

For some background I have an alcohol problem, my wife does not.

Anyone else have this happen?

So last night my wife was at a friends house and drank 2 hard ciders. When she came home she left the other 4 in the garage instead of bringing them in and putting them in the fridge.

I know she probably did this to help/support me. I just find it amusing that my wife is now the one hiding the booze now that I am sober.:joy:

7 Likes

I am happy that you are sober and she appears to be doing it to be supportive! My step-mother hides booze from my dad because otherwise it canā€™t be kept in the house (he is still an active drinker). I used to find it in weird places, like when I was looking under the sink to find more toilet paper - ā€œWTF is this wine doing under the sink in the bathroom?!ā€. When even that stopped working, she bought a metal storage locker with a lock on it that he does not know the combination to. High level dysfunction and yet he still drinks!

So I think your situation sounds pretty good! :joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

I think itā€™s a good thing see hid it in the garage. It means sheā€™s supporting you and doesnā€™t want you to relapse. She cares about you and wants you to get and stay sober.

3 Likes

I agree sir. I just found it amusing that the tables have turned.

I did tell my wife I appreciated the gesture.

5 Likes

The alcohol in our house in somewhere in my husbandā€™s tool cabinet. Itā€™s best that way!:wink:

3 Likes

Soā€¦ my ex girlfriend and I used to have a cabinet full of alcohol - not for very long mind you! And it was always pretty normal in my parents houses aswell. My first attempt at ā€˜cutting downā€™, Iā€™d never been in my Dads house before and he had a separate wine fridge full of beer and wineā€¦

For one evening. Didnt stay there long!

Second time - stayed at my mums. She has a cabinet full of the stuff with all the bottles marked. Shes still got a bottle of Rum I bought to replace one I drank with the previous markings still on it. But i slowly wittled down her collection

Third time - At my stepfathers house. Heā€™s also a JD drinker, like me. I know where it is but none of it is on display save for a small hipflask bottle which hangs on the wall with a hipflask as decoration. Because I dont see it when I come in from work, I dont even think about it.

Id say sheā€™s done a good thing.

2 Likes

My wife and I are on a weekend getaway. On our way out of town, she asks me if it would be alright if we stopped so she could buy some liquor. I asked her why she asked if it would ā€œbe alright with meā€. She said, ā€œI dunno. Just donā€™t want to tempt you.ā€

Now, Iā€™m a couple weeks shy of 1 year. We have wine, beer and liquor IN MY HOUSE. I walk by a wine rack with a dozen bottles in it, at least 10 times a day. Weā€™ve gone to wineries and breweries, and even a distillery. Iā€™ve gone to a wine store and bought bottles of wine to give as gifts. I havenā€™t been tempted once since I quit.

So yes, I gave her a look like she had just said the silliest damn thing Iā€™d heard in a while, and yes, I told her so.

7 Likes

She was probably being considerate. Thereā€™s lots of ppl on here complaining about their sig others boozing it up in front of them night after night. Consider yourself lucky if her motive was to keep from triggering you!

4 Likes

My husband keeps it around, but he hasnā€™t been drinking it much. Maybe a few at home in the two months Iā€™ve been sober. I hope if it becomes an issue, he would be willing to remove it, at least not just have it laying around. So far, hasnā€™t been an issue.

1 Like

My ex used to hide her drink because when i finished mine id be looking to drink hers lol she hide her martini in her boots once and being the cunning drunk i found it drunk some topped up with water , thought i was fly but she found a few good hiding places , it was 24 hr job drinking ,

2 Likes

My Mrs went to drink her pink gin the other day and realised it was white not pink :joy: remembered Iā€™d topped it up with water so had to buy another back

2 Likes

Yep I agree.

1 Like

But itā€™s just the two of you on a weekend get away this time, thatā€™s different than being at home with the family because you two are just enjoying your company. It was very considerate of her to ask. :slight_smile: