Will I lose friends?

I admitted to myself today that I’m “powerless” to alcohol as I lay up on the couch sick from drinking the night prior. My stomach still feels like I chugged draino and I just finally stopped feeling dizzy. I just turned 30 and I know it sounds childish, but I’m afraid to stop drinking entirely bc I know I’ll have to miss out on a lot of social interactions while I get to comfortable level. But I know I need to. I’m just nervous.

4 Likes

I think any friends lost because you are making a decision to better your life isn’t a true friend. The true friends will accept this part of you and support you. I know I don’t always see some friends as much as I used to because partying every weekends had lost appeal to me. But when I do see them it’s always more meaninful visits. It’s hardly been a perfect journey for me but I know the true friends are the ones who continue to support me in this journey to self improvement.

13 Likes

I haven’t hung around some friends as much but the others are all really supportive. I just hit four weeks. I’ve been out with friends who have done everything from drink to drugs and I’ve stayed strong. If I asked they’d gladly give. They believe a man makes their own decisions and they should have to help me I should help myself. As that may sound callous it’s also true. I know that I can do it now. It gave me strength. You won’t be any different and won’t miss out on much. You’ll just be sober. I though the same way @vee_sky and I miss it. I miss blasting lines and drinking. I miss getting fucked up I’m not going to lie and pretend I don’t. What I don’t miss is the feelings of guilt and shame because that’s all I did.

4 Likes

@Dre yes, the feelings of guilt and shame - I don’t want to feel that way again. Thanks man.

2 Likes

Having friends is over rated. Just look at me i have no friends and i am fine hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

2 Likes

You won’t miss out on anything @vee_sky, you just need a bit of time between you and the booze before you’re strong enough to be part of the fun without being drunk.
For some of us that can be quite a short period - but don’t push yourself unnecessarily.
When you really think about it, it’s a relatively small price to pay, isn’t it?

4 Likes

I belive some people/friends are put in this world as bridges. They serve a purpose in our lives to get us to the places we need to go. I’ve had friends that meant the world to me, but no longer are they a part of my life and I wouldn’t trade our experiences for the world. They helped shape the person I am today and I’m forever grateful. God already has a plan and it doesn’t matter if you lose these people in your life or you don’t, it will play itself out how it’s supposed be.

5 Likes

@JdCamp I agree with you :100:. Through meditation I’ve slowly started to learn to let go of needing people to validate me. Not to say I don’t want friends or anything but I come to terms with letting people come and go with love. I believe in the universe and trust it. Every time something has left my life something else has come into it which is what I needed at the time. I don’t force anything anymore. I allow the universe and trust it to give me what I need. Focus on growing and evolving to who I want to be and i trust all else will fall into place

4 Likes

Replace “quitting drinking” with something else. Let’s say for example (I use this because I speak from experience) after years of fighting with yourself and self honesty (drinking) you decided to come out of the closet (becoming sober).

When I did that, sure I lost “friends”. But hindsight is always 20/20- does a real friend like you for YOU or for the faux persona you’re putting on?

Yes you will lose shallow people in your life- you need to! You need the space they are taking up to focus on yourself! If you continue to appease that dead weight, you’ll never make the time to heal yourself.

Let them go! The universe (or whatever your higher power is) will bring more beneficial matter into that space! - I promise!

:heart:

Be strong

4 Likes

I think we’ve all told ourselves that at least once. But the reality is we’re just coming up with excuses because we either don’t really WANT to give it up or are afraid to give it up. I can tell you any firends you lose were never friends to begin with. This is the best decision you can make for your life, a true friend would be happy for you and support you.

3 Likes

True friends won’t leave you based on a decision you are making to better yourself. They will support you on your journey to living sober and living a better life. Honestly, today at 8pm will make 10 days sober for me, I’ve gone out 5 times and found myself having a great time. I just kept my sobriety at the forefront of my mind, how proud I am of myself and how great I’m going to feel the next day with no hangover. All of my friends say they can notice a difference in my personality and my appearance. Friday night, I walked into a local bar and the first thing out of three different people’s mouths were compliments on my appearance, of how great I looked, how my skin was glowing. Just in 10 days, I have lost some weight, notice a change in my complexion, and can just feel my body getting healthier. So I just keep all of that in the forefront. I don’t worry about what other people might say about me drinking, I just stay strong and end up having a great time even though I’m not drinking (which I honestly, never thought would have been possible). :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Very insightful @JdCamp. Never thought of old friends this way but makes sense.

1 Like

U prolly will loose some friends but if u do then they weren’t friends to begin with i have lost all my friends because of me getting sober and clean but i promise u it’s worth it. I just turned 30 and have been on drugs for 12 years and I habe been clean and sober for 28 days and i feel amazing I was so bad I was shooting meth and Opanas but i jabe realized that they were never friends to begin with they were just my drug buddies u have 2 people u still talk to but it’s worth it

1 Like

Drinking friends are not true friends if they no longer want to be your friend when you are sober/ if they do not respect your sober lifestyle. I lost many people who I thought were friends but the true friends (some of whom I did not expect) showed themselves and I have made new real friends as well. So I would say no, you won’t lose any friends, but you will discover who your friends truly are and you will discover what being a friend d truly means.

Drugs/alcohol only bring us false emotions. False happiness, false friendships, false satisfaction, enjoy your journey to realizing what truly having these things means, you can only to it sober. This means you will also feel true pain and sorrow but I promise the good times and self satisfaction you will gain is worth feeling the true pain. You’re on a journey that will teach you to no longer hide from your emotions. It’s not easy but the good news is you have people like us on this site to help guide you and take this journey with you. We’re all in this together.

1 Like