Will it always be so hart?

Okay, I see, most of you must think, my problems are unreal and small, but for me, they feel though. Half a year ago, a therapist gave me the hint, a trigger for my migraine maybe sugar.

Well- it is. But it is so much more.
For years I 've been in therapy for eating disorder. But it wasn’t. I was addicted to sugar, I now know. In a way, I never would have imagined. Without it, in the first days and weeks I had shivering fit, fit of rage and tears… I was mean to my husband and kids, I nearly didn’t sleep for weeks. And then it seems over. But every time My body get a taste of even a hint of sugar or honey or dry fruit or something… I feel like I would kill for more. I once nearly hit my husband because he tried to stop me in a rush. And it is simply everywhere and nobody understands, when I tell, I can’t eat sugar. (Because it makes my head crushes - last time the emergency doctor thought it was a stroke, but no- just migraine again. And because it transformes me into a monster and I don’t want to treat my family like that again for weeks. Last but not least I get stomache crumps when I eat sugar .)
Will it EVER even get easier to say no? I meen, I know and I understand and I feel it is bad for me and the ones I love- but man, I want it so badly!

3 Likes

I feel like addictions can come in any form and the cravings and the detoxing. I’m sorry you have to go through this. What does your therapist suggest?

3 Likes

Hi!
I don’t think your problems are unreal or small. All addictions are created equal. I don’t have experience with sugar addiction and honestly staying sober is quite new for me. Still I have seen my share of addicts and talked with people who have stopped using. Trust me, it will get easier but that doesn’t mean cravings will ever completely disappear. I think getting over addiction might be little similar as getting over emotional pain. It won’t go away but You as person will grow around that pain and become stronger day by day. You have great reasons to refrain from sugar so keep those in mind. When getting over whole day seems impossible remember you don’t have to. Just keep strong for next ten minutes. Take a quick walk, draw something or buy one of those adult coloring books, grab some pens and go crazy. Or do what ever you find relaxing. Cravings don’t usually last that long if you can get your mind off of it. This forum has lots of great advices for addicts and I recommend to go digging, there are much wiser people than me. You got this :hugs:

2 Likes

. I hear you, and believe you. There are studies where rats got more addicted to sugar water than to cocaine. I don’t think it’s easy. My parents are totally addicted to sugar, and it’s as bad when they are crashing as any alcoholic who needs a drink, but for it’s full on meltdowns at Trader Joe’s looking for the cookies they need to have immediately.
Have you been to a nutritionist or dietician? They may have great ideas for how to help balance things out and would be an amazing resource for you. I think as with everything, it’s not just abstinence it’s knowing what the triggers are & figuring out how healthier habits.

1 Like

Thanks!

You’re right- splitting a hole day down to some smaller pieces should help.
Maybe trying to sleep more although will. Especially in the evenings the craving is normaly more than I can handle and something sweet just feels so- helpful.

I haven’t been to a dietist, because the insurance won’t pay. But maybe I find something to read…

2 Likes

Look up diabetic diets. I had gestational diabetes with both of my pregnancies and had to count carbs which turn into sugar anyway. I used to love Sprite, hot cheetos and snickers. I couldnt have any of that pregnant, imagine the horror. Anyway lol, I could only have 15 grams of carbs for snacks and only 50 grams of carbs for breakfast, lunch and dinner. You will be amazed at how many carbs are in a Sprite, I think it’s like 75 grams of carbs or some ridiculous number. You dont have to do any crazy diet or anything like that. Just start reading the labels and limit yourself to a certain amount. I know it’s super hard, but giving up sugar completely doesnt seem 100% realistic as sugar is in way too much stuff, but limiting yourself since we have to eat to survive right? You dont need to spend tons of money on a dietitian, just do a little bit of research and dont stress over crazy diets. If you need any help dont hesitate to message me. Gestational diabetes changed my life! I dont have it anymore since it’s only during pregnancy, but I have like a 60 or 70% chance of getting type II diabetes if I don’t continue to take care of myself and the way I eat. I’m here for you :yum::wink:

No, that doesn’t work unfortunately.
On the one hand because I seem to be sugar intollerant at the same time. (Stomache crumps, diarrhea and migrane every time I eat sugar.)
On the other hand because it doesn’t work for me. I tried, but the permanent withdrawal symptoms drive me crazy.
When I first get the hint with sugar, I thought reducing would be enough. But I was permanent nervous and edgy and irritated. And I permanent ate.
Then I stopped eating white sugar and other sweeteners. I just used dry fruit, fresh fruit and coconut blossom sugar (because all of them don’t influence the blood sugar so much). Three weeks were like hell. But I was in a health resort a I got it. But during the Christmas days I baked a lot with coconut blossom sugar and ate a lot of chocolate with coconut blossom and nuts and raisins… And now all the withdrawal symptoms are back. I’m nervos and edgy, can’t sleep and still want more - first more raisins and more and more, till the migraine was back and the stomache crumps, then I nearly eat white sugar again. So I realise: there are no shortcuts or replacement substances. I “just” need to quit it all. And so I’ll try. First 24 hours are gone and till now I got it. So we’ll see the next 24 hours.

You may want to look into a food tracking app like myplate to see how much sugar you are actually ingesting.

Processed carbs like pasta, white bread convert to sugar really quickly so they can be a part of your roller coaster ride. Literally every processed food has way more sugar in it than conceivable, even canned beans can have added sugar, as that is what makes us crave it and eat more.

I stopped eating white carbs as well (just wholegrain breat and pasta), reduced carbs, nearly stopped eating processed foods. And then I’m okay.

1 Like

I work with it for 9 month now and tried a lot. A little bit of the right sugar, like a cookie with coconut blossom sugar or a bratwurst with a little ketchup, seems to be okay for my body - no stomche problems. The problem is the same, most of you will have with alternitives: can you really drink alcohol free beer or cocktails without remebering and wanting that kick? Maybe that will be okay in a few years, I don’t know. For now, it always crushes me, because I slowly start eating a little bit more and a little bit more - till I feel it’s too much and I start again with abstinence. That drives me crazy.

1 Like