Withdrawals and crippling depression

So, I have been sober from my doc, meth, since early April. But having a hell of a time withdrawing from all of these crazy meds I have been hard core addicted to since I was young. Benzos and Adderall. I’m tapering off safely, but still, even with help from my Dr,I feel miserable. I keep attending zoom meeting, started coming here yesterday. Because if I am bored in the slightest, I’ll think of using in one way or another. Im used to going on walks and clearing my head, but I just can’t get out of bed. Any advice from people who have had benzo flu or how to help with crippling depression from amphetamine withdraws? Thank you.

1 Like

@Meggers

3 Likes

Well, first off congratulations to you. It sounds like you got a month clean. Although I haven’t personally had your experience I am sure it is hard work coming clean. I hope you can build on your month. One day at a time. I find what helps me is my daily gratitude list. Each morning I do o a gratitude list. I list off at least ten things I’m grateful for each day. Sometimes I struggle with it. But I’m grateful I’m sober today. :pray:t2: to you. Lots of good people around here to help. :heart:
Stick with it you deserve a good clean life. You’re worth it.

2 Likes

I dont know much about adderall, but benzos I know as much as someone can know without being a psychiatrist or pharmacist. Honestly, tell your doctor you want a quick librium taper and suffer through it. Or, the safer and better option is inpatient detox.There is no chance in hell I would have made it through med reduction with benzos. Life absolutely sucked for a few weeks, but it was better that it sucking for months.

There isn’t much you can do about the benzo flu, unfortunately.

Benzos are the fucking devil. They dont feel like they are messing you up as much as they are, they are handed out like candy, and the withdrawals are worse than anything on this earth, not to mention the most dangerous.

I’m at work right now, but if you want to DM me, please do. But be warned, there is no warm and cuddly when it comes to detoxing off the shit. I dont have any happy stories, other than the fact that I didn’t to a slow taper. I did the quick, brutal detox and I personally wouldn’t have had it any other way.

I’m here for you. No matter what, I’m here for you. I been there and I know what it feels like.

5 Likes

I took xanax for close to 30 years,I could not taper off them…if I had them I was gonna take them…when I stopped cold Turkey I wound up at the er and was put in a detox center and on to rehab,it was brutal I have to admit but after some time I started getting some sleep and slowly started getting some energy back, in a little over a month I will have 2 years off those damn things and I promise you I had it bad and if I can do it you can do it…

3 Likes

Depressed and having a hard time dealing with boredom sound like they might be from stopping the Adderall and less so the benzos (stopping those are likely more behind the anxiety, jittery, feeling sick side of your symptoms). I wonder if @TMAC’s experience would help here, he’s been sober for a good while and has dealt with stopping Adderall before.

2 Likes

Thanks, @ifs

Hey @Kaila
I have no experience with benzos, so can’t speak to that, but Ifs is right, plenty of experience with adderall abuse. I would bet that a good chunk of what you’re experiencing is withdrawals from the adderall. Depending on how much you were using and for how long, it can be a really rough go for a bit. Just a note, I do have diagnosed ADHD and adderall is helpful for me when I take it as prescribed. However, I was not vigilant about watching the addict part of my brain and I started eating them like M&Ms. This is 2+ years ago.

I abused it for about a year or so, taking close to 100mg a day at the worst, sometimes more. When I stopped, I felt super depressed and just “off” for like 2 weeks, give or take. My thoughts felt so cloudy and I felt like I was mentally just useless. I couldn’t articulate or form thoughts like I was used to. Part of that was the chemical imbalance I had created, and the other part was my actual ADHD shining through when I hadn’t had to deal with it untreated for a long time.
Adderall, like other stimulants, promotes the release of feel-good chemicals in the brain. When you’re abusing it, your brain is constantly and artificially flooded with these. When you stop, you get a rebound effect that can result in feeling like you have described.
It will take some time to get back to feeling normal as your brain tries to get back to equilibrium. It will feel bad for a while, but just know that it does get better with time. Exercise, fresh air, proper nutrition, and tons of water can help move that process along faster.

Be gentle with yourself and remember that it’s just your body trying to get back to normal, and although it may feel like you’ll be stuck this way forever, it DOES get better.

Take care, and feel free to reach out anytime!

3 Likes

Thank you. I have been on Adderall since I was 15, but was off of it when I was abusing meth. And got on it again when I stopped meth. I have ADHD. So, it does help and and I feel even while on meth and not taking it, I still was somewhat on a “medication” but just didn’t know I was taking something different. Everything you described tho, is how I’m feeling. And it only improves if my sponsor insists on going on a walk or I do get out of bed. The only time I remember feeling like this is when I didn’t have Adderall and got off meth. So maybe it’s not the benzos. And im really sensitive to the Adderall. Thank you. I just need to be careful because my mind I need to keep it very very busy. Thank you @TMAC for your insight.

2 Likes

I’ve never used meth, but I do know it’s in the same family of drugs as adderall (amphetamine). Just that meth is on a whole 'nother level, significantly stronger obviously and there’s probably some chemical differences I’m unaware of…"meth"amphetamine vs just amphetamine.

I figure the withdrawls would be much more pronounced with meth, but similar in nature.

Your sponsor is right. You’ve got to get out of bed, get out in the fresh air. Go for walks. I know the effort is hard to find but know it will help you significantly!

3 Likes

Hey @Kaila I’m glad you’re here. I was prescribed adderall from the age of 12 to 24 with the highest legal dosage being 40mg a day but took up to 120. I can tell you that stopping it can make you feel all sorts of way. Ampthetamines are really harsh on your nervous system and you can feel extreme psychological and physical withdrawals from them. For me it was intense anxiety depression abrupt appetite change. You can also have PAWS for a few weeks afterwards and depending on the usage long term symptoms can last up to a year. I’m glad you’re here and seeking help, what you’re feeling is normal but I’d try and talk to someone professionally if it gets any worse especially depression end of it. Force yourself to get up and out . I know how hard it is trust me I was so so so tired everyday but the more you move the bette off you’ll be

4 Likes

Hi Kaila, I’m going through the same but doc is alcohol. Had been on klonopin since I was a kid. I agree with walks and exercise for sure. Sometimes podcasts have been helpful to get me out of the negative loop in my head. Unf*ck your Mind is one that you might like. Kinda weird name but motivational. Feel better!
Wes

2 Likes

Hey girl, how you doing today?

3 Likes

i have some input on depression.

i have schzophrania and i know how hard depression is and also depression is just as tough as schzophrania

deppresion… wow what a game changer that was. it effects all moods a person can feel and so much more

i love gratitude list. i love walks. i love people but when i was depressed, i could only manage to say like, 3 words a day. i thought i was worthless. i hated being around people. i was alone everyday for 3 years for about 12 hours or even onward to all night when i was only 16 years old.

my streingth came from my dog till she passed when i was 18.

i met my gf when i was 20. shes a hottie.
she showed me that my opinion matterd and she got me out of the house as much as she could.

life is to live
to live is to find your purpes
to find your purpes you need to find yourself
what are things you like
what music makes you happy?
what makes you uniquly you?
what things do you like to do for tasks?

you can stay sober i know it
i heard benzo flu is tough but just imagine beating this

you can do it girl
rock on :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey I couldn’t reply the other day because I exceeded the amount I was aloud, but I’m doing well, coming off the Adderall and benzos has actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise I think! I slept most of today away still feeling pretty aweful though but amphetamine withdraws makes me so tired that sleeping off the benzos pain and agitation works out! Thank you for checking in! Hugs!

1 Like