Withdrawl symptom or just a funk

I am almost to 10 days with no alcohol and am feeling very blue. Tired and blue. Is this a withdrawal symptom or am I just in a funk? I have no appetite. I keep thinking how nice a glass of wine would be right now, just to chill my nerves but of course I know that’s not the right choice… is it normal to feel like this? Is my mind playing tricks on me, to feel blue, so that I will fix it with alcohol?

2 Likes

I feel it’s normal. Once you get more days under your belt you do start to feel happier.

Consider alcoholism as a “senscient entity,” whose sole purpose is to see you dead from so much drinking.
In my early days of sobriety - AFTER the phase of withdrawal syndrome - I also felt very tired and blue. That was because I had to fight this “entity” in an hourly basis.
After some weeks, these sensations started to fade.
Rest assured, it is a very common symptom early in recovery.

4 Likes

I love the way you described this!! So accurate

1 Like

I wonder if you might be experiencing PAWS (post acute withdrawal symptoms).

Symptoms may continue for up to a year and include some or all of the following:

Hostility or aggression
Anxiety, panic, or fear
Irritability and mood swings
Depression
Exhaustion or fatigue
Inability to sleep
Trouble concentrating or thinking
Loss of interest in sex
Anhedonia, or the inability to feel pleasure
Trouble with memory
Sensitivity to stressful situations

2 Likes

Could also be a flu coming. Alcohol isn’t going to make anything better, maybe for a few hours it will, but you will regret it and back to feeling like shit tomorrow. Be proud of your 10 days and keep it going

2 Likes

We so quickly attribute any negative moods or feelings with alcohol. So, effects may be either or, or combination of the two. Everyone goes through these cycles in life. Including, people that have never been addicted to any substance. Instead of trying to label them find away to overcome them. It becomes physical and mental waste of time to discover the reasons. I suggest focusing that energy in a passion or goal. At least give yourself a real reason to be exhausted. I work too many hours, I’m engaged with volunteer activities, I’m taking classes or I spend an hour at the gym everyday.

I guess what I’m getting at, does it matter if it’s a funk or withdraw? Food for thought

Withdrawal can last a couple of weeks or more. It starts with the physical symptoms then more mental/emotional. After a month you should be in the clear from the acute withdrawal symptoms. PAWS can occur with some regular frequency for up to two years after quitting; stronger in the begining and lessening over time.

alcohol-withdrawal-timeline-chart

2 Likes

Y’know, I’ll put this out there again for those who might feel hazy or brain-foggy:

After months I had another bout of brain fog and blues. Some threw out PAWS as a thing.

Looking at my Fitbit, though, I saw I was only going to bed 6 hours a day (5 hours of actual sleep) the week leading up to it. I’d feel great after a weekend of yoga and more sleep. Happened a couple weeks in a row, always feeling like crap on Friday.

Thinking back, I believe I forgot what “sober tired” felt like. I drank so persistently that once I got sober I could wake up early for work all week and not feel as tired/mildly hungover in the morning. Soon as the bell went off, I was up and at it even though I kept staying up late the night before. Still wasn’t actually getting enough regular sleep though!

Others’ mileage may vary, but I’d put that out there for those feeling kinda bleh or hazy. Maybe try hopping in bed a solid 9 hours/night (8 hours of sleep) for a spell. :v:

2 Likes

Thanks very much for the listing, @VSue.

No problem. It’s just from a google search.

When I first came here I heard people talk about PAWS but I wasn’t sure what it was. Then I started having weird emotional roller coaster moments that I didn’t understand so I looked it up and lo and behold…PAWS!! :crazy_face: