Words of Wisdom?

4 Likes

Welcome and congratulations on day one!

Good advice here. My two cents is to read Allen Carr’s The Easy Way to Control Alcohol and Annie Grace’s This Naked Mind.

The message in those books is that alcohol has no value. It has no benefit. It’s worth $0. Thus, by quitting alcohol, one is not missing out. He/she is not being deprived. Alcohol does not give pleasure. It takes it away. Alcohol does not fill a void. It creates one.

Once this is fully understood, one will not desire to drink, and choosing sobriety becomes easy.

3 Likes

Love this JFT reading! :heart:

Nothing makes an hour long AA meeting fun and feel like 5 mins, more than a bunch of older sober members who can tell their stories with a hearty sense of humour!

Comedy and laughter can be a great vehicle for driving an important message home.

Laughter is a universal language :rofl:

1 Like

#1 Great job.

#2 Know that soon you’ll go a whole minute wo thinking of your substance of abuse. Then you’ll go an hour, then a day.

#3 Our brains did a lot of things did a lot of positive things in the last 10,000 years. What it didn’t do was lose the ‘fight or flight’, so every negative occurrence feels like a life threatening thing and we turn to our substance of abuse to cope. I have this on my monitor in my classroom:
“It’s a _________. It ain’t a Sabertooth Tiger.”

#4. The hardest day is today. Grind through it and tomorrow will be easier. It always is.

#5. I spent most of 28 years drinking, wanting a drink or getting over a drink. 13 months and 27 days into sobriety my 11 year old son had a massive intracranial aneurism and died 8 months later. If I can stay sober through that, you can get through today.

Please, please, please message me if I can ever help.

Best,
Chandler

6 Likes

Thank you so much!

The pain of change… is nothing compared to the pain of staying the same…

2 Likes

Hey! :sparkles: I’ve been under the weather so my body is a little off right now anyway, so it’s hard to actually say. But mentally I feel really good about where I am and where I’m headed. I’m happy to be creating a new routine and evening ritual. Thanks for checking in! Day 4 is almost in the books! :relaxed:

2 Likes

First off, I’m sorry you had to bury your child. As a parent, I am lucky to not know that.
I feel that got overlooked here and I want you to know that I see you. Grief is never done.

And congrats on staying sober through all that!!

2 Likes

I had a huge sweet tooth the first week quitting drinking (I’m on day 9 so I’m not that far ahead of you). I’ve been really compassionate with myself and allowed my diet to be a little ‘off’ as I know that my brain is looking for those endorphins. Drink lots of water, eat fruit, exercise. Just being on this app is a win.

First off, I’m sorry you had to bury your child. As a parent, I am lucky to not know that.
(I’d rather suffer alone than have anyone join me in The Club. I sincerely hope you never have to know.)
I feel that got overlooked here and I want you to know that I see you. Grief is never done.
(It isn’t. I asked a friend who lost her 9 year old daughter to cancer; ‘Does this ever get easier?’
She said, ‘No, but you get scar tissue.’)

And congrats on staying sober through all that!!
(I appreciate the sentiment but I don’t deserve congratulations. I put that bottle to my head and pulled the trigger. Getting sober is the price I paid:am still paying. If I ever let my guard down and stop Tough Loving myself, I slip and fall. I have come too far and built a better Life to let up.)
Best,
Chandler

2 Likes

And a ar tissue never fades!
Keep up the good work! Were all like minded peeps that are here for you!!