Work Drinking

Hi everyone!

I work in an industry were of course it is not mandatory to drink at events but everyone does it. I have an event coming up where I would typically be drinking late into the night and am stressing that the pressure will get to me and I will drink. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on how to keep the urge away?

Tomorrow I will be one day sober and for multiple reasons this is my last opportunity to get my drinking under control.

1 Like

Can you skip this one? It’s all still pretty fresh. Doesn’t have to be any big deal other than you can’t make it.

I skipped a bunch of work and personal things those first few weeks. Now it doesn’t bother me, but took some time and work to get there.

And welcome, @JakeM!

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion but I do have to attend this one.

Ginger ale on ice with a lemon

1 Like

I used to be in consulting and that was common. But you know, not everyone drinks. Or expects that you drink. The people paying attention are just insecure of their own drinking. You’d be surprised when you look around who isn’t at all, and who is just nursing one all night.

I’d make the rounds and bug out early. Focus on the event itself. Wake up not feeling like dog shit and embarrassed.

2 Likes

How much are you being paid to be there? If you aren’t being paid, then it’s not mandatory. If you are being paid I would call off sick. I once tried to put my job before my sobriety and I lost both.

4 Likes