Working on working out

Hey, y’all. You gotta run slow to get fast! Volume training in Z2 then what I call star bursts.

2 Likes

I have only been running lately. 3 miles today.
Think I’m going to stick with running and bike for a few weeks. Like a couple others, have a nagging injury that just won’t quit. Mid back. @rmgrimmer I’m thinking about my first ever chiropractic visit. In another post you mentioned 2 camps of professionals and which one to avoid (or something like that) Can you refresh my memory on that? Thanks man!

4 Likes

I had to run down the highway in my riding boots when my rescue Chihuahua-Min Pin, “Dobie” (the Doberman) got loose. My neighbor followed, in his truck, with flashers on. The L’il turd attacked a Mastiff, that dog’s owner threw my beloved shelter dog over the fence to me. Long time ago, but still, good times…

2 Likes

I would like to know the answer to this as well.

1 Like

Not exactly sure what post you’re referring to, but I’ll throw in my advice on the subject.

Chronic (nagging) injuries are usually the result of an injury that healed incorrectly and has developed scar tissue within the connective tissues, muscles and joints.

Your options here are:

1. Go to your MD. They’ll give you NSAIDS (pain killers/anti-inflammatories). This won’t help since it will only mask the problem.
  2. Go to Physical Therapy. PT will focus on stabilization of the region with perhaps a focus on muscular stretching and relaxation. This may affect scsr tissue within the connective tissue and muscle, but not the joint.
  3. Go to Massage Therapy. Another good idea. Similar focus as PT on affecting the surface level function.
  4. Go to a Chiropractor. Chiropractors focus on rehabilitation of the neuromusculoskeletal system as a whole. Adjustments break scar tissue with the joints, as well as the muscles and connective tissues. Many chiropractors will couple adjusting with massage therapy to speed recovery. A good chiro may possibly suggest PT following a typical 6-12 week treatment plan, if the joint is unstable, or there are system imbalances.

I’m by no means trying to sway you one way or the other. Everything I teach my patients is based on the 3 phases of healing. You can search it in any physiology textbook. These are the models that most of these professionals will follow. Barring the outliers that are not good at what they do.

Anyway, hope that answers some questions.

2 Likes

Hey that’s great info Rob…really appreciate you taking the time to reply! I’m going to opt for 3 and 4. For some reason I had thought you had mentioned in some earlier post a specific type of therapy to avoid, but I could be mistaken. Anyhow, I contacted one today and hopefully will have an appt. by end of week. Excited to give it a try. Thanks again Dr. - great advice. Tom

1 Like

No prob, Tom. Please feel free to PM me with any questions regarding your Chiropractic experience.

1 Like

Thank you for the excellent information.

A couple weeks ago I sustained a lower back injury doing deadlifts improperly. I’d been doing them for years without issue, but one bad rep (using really light weight) later… it really messed me up. The issue was that I was rushing through the exercise and lost focus on what I was doing.

Anyway, I too was interested in the information for that particular reason. And also because I am considering a career change in physical therapy and just find myself being interested in these types of discussions.

1 Like

Wolfe’s law. The human body is amazingly adaptable to the regular conditions it faces. Place an anatomical system under a specific load regularly, this system will adapt to handle the load. People living or athletes training at altitude have more red blood cells. Thai fighters have strong shinbones from kicking hard surfaces repeatedly over time. Endurance athletes cv systems show this adaptation as well.

1 Like

Sometimes working out isn’t pretty.
6 rounds - 36:33
400m run
21 walking lunges
15 ring rows
9 burpees

10 Likes

Whaddya mean?

2 Likes

Took a break from the morning workout. Last night during Krav warmup, I felt a twinge in my right shoulder. Then we did strikes and stick/bat defenses, which involve shoulder manipulation. Kinda sore this morning. Thought it better to give it a rest and some ice, rather than “train through” and end up with a frozen shoulder.

2 Likes

That’s a pretty great origin story :joy:

The vo2 max is essentially a heridetary value though. With endurance athletes. It can be trainer and raised a bit, but if my vo2 max is tested at 64, I can maybe raise it 2-4 points through hard interval training. An elite world tour cyclist is in the 80s. No amount of training can bring mine to that level.

Yes, there is a genetic component, and a physiological component. Elite runners, cyclists, swimmers, etc. are “elite” because they have honed their natural gifts to the finest edge through training. But that’s not my point, nor is it the point of Wolfe’s law, which looks at individual base potential, and measures the incremental changes through adaptation/acclimatisation in response to biological systems placed under load.

One of the best examples is the professional Muay Thai fighter. Most start their training as children. Most are poor kids who don’t have any huge genetic predisposition over the next kid. The children condition their shins and elbows through daily striking of hard objects. Microfractures occur in the bones, which calcify over time. Nerves that are regularly overloaded become deadened to pain. By the time they are adults, they can kick through banana trees, with no damage to themselves. I’ve watched fights where western fighters, who haven’t had this kind of training over the same length of time actually break their shins when a Thai checks one of their kicks.

I also experienced this myself. As a youngish Lieutenant, my unit would regularly train literally on the slopes of Mt. Fuji for 2-3 months. As soon as we’d return to Okinawa, I’d have my platoon run their semi-annual Physical Fitness Test. Run times were significantly faster for the 3 mile run, as much as 1-2 minutes faster…and we’d actually ran aLESS during our time at Fuji, due to mission training demands. Our bodies benefitted from the time spent at altitude.

So maybe you’ll never have the same VO2 max as a tour du France level cyclist, but, train long enough and your body will achieve its max potential in this area.

70ish minutes of cardio… Yeah not exactly what I want to be focusing on only, but right now with transition I need to just do anything really that works, and I’ve been doing cardio starting at 5am, and listening to this inspiring podcast and it’s been a beautiful way to start my morning.

8 Likes

Focused on core with weights and endurance on the treadmill. Really like this trainer, but wish he hadn’t cut the class 5 minutes early. Ah well.

508 :fire: is better than zero.

5 Likes

I started chiropractic a few weeks back, and wow, this is the best my back has felt in over a year!

As a result, my workouts have been off the charts. I am being cautious, but I am still able to press myself so much harder and perform at a higher level. The lift numbers are consistently climbing for the first time in a long time. My run times are getting back to normal too. I notice the biggest difference in my general day-to-day movements. It has really been a miracle for me.

Feels so great to finally get back to be able to do what I know my body is capable of.

6 Likes

Glad you found something you like!

Morning cardio is the greatest, I love it. Its peaceful, and personally my cardio is better with no food in me (may vary for others…my run feels sluggish if I eat).

But perhaps the best part is that its done and out of the way! Rest of the day left to do whatever, the workout is already in the bag.

4 Likes

Exactly :slight_smile: I almost forget I did it lol kinda odd but it’s working

1 Like