Working on working out

That picture makes me so jealous. Heck, most of the photos of your balcony/deck make me jealous!

Firstly, because I’d love to have workout equipment available to me in my own home, especially outside! I wish I could convince my GF to let me convert our finished basement into a home gym…I already know the answer to that question lol.

Secondly…because warmth. I left for my run this morning at 5 AM. It was dark, icy, and 13°F. A far cry from your nice sunshine corner of the world!

One cannot maintain a constant progression upward. Things happen like illness, injury, life-challenges. The key is to recognize when your off your beat, and try to get back on it. You’re doing the right things.

I’ve adopted the “flight of stairs” approach. Max effort for a time, slow a bit on the landing, turn and hit a other flight. Right now I’m hitting it hard. I’ll dial it back a week before my next belt test, recover, hit it hard at the test, and then start up the next flight.

Also helps to have something to aim at, a challenge with a defined measure of accomplishment. I have found that if I aim at nothing, I will hit nothing.

Had taken nearly 6 days off after being sick and relapsing, hit a short workout early and planning on going back later to get my routine started again. Felt good getting back. I know it’s my mind playing tricks but didn’t like how i looked or felt in there after only missing 6 days after not missing a day for months. Lifting the same weight but getting back initially my judgement on myself was negative and probably being hard on myself for missing that time. Idk just venting after being off and going back after the first time lol.
I’ll let everyone know how the night session goes.

That happens to me, too. Good for you for having the awareness to recognize that these thoughts are untrue. I hate taking time off (even a day), but recently I’ve learned that time off actually helps.

Additionally, I’ve begun to accept that a week or a day off will not undo weeks and months and years worth of work. Remember that! It took you tons of time, consistency, and effort to get to your current fitness. 6 days away cannot undo that, even a little.

Thank you for the nice words. It just felt odd and it might have been just my negative feelings about myself after relapsing and feeling depressed, bc a big thing for me with my crohns is my weight will fluctuate and so that causes a physical change when I’m not really on top of it and my weight was the same, which surprised me. I was lifting the same weight. I know getting back it will come back and I just need to be patient. Lol not a strong suit of mine lol.

Someone said to me the other day that I wouldn’t always be striving for more every day if I was truly content/happy with my every day Life. It’s been on my mind a lot. I like wanting more and pushing myself for it. But I wonder how much my “not enough” inner dialogue stems from just a general unhappiness with certain things in my life. Well that was super deep lol Luckily I know you’ll understand Mitch.

I felt kinda bad at first taking over this space. But I couldn’t be more happy I have a little area that is dedicated to my personal time.

You should ask if she’d mind if you had some space in the house for yourself as well. It’s worth it

I honestly might just be in neutral coasting lol but I’ll pick up some speed here soon… Thanks James :blush:

We were built for growth. Were this not the case, our capacity to grow mentally and spiritually would stop when we hit our physical peak.
It is that desire to see whats up around the bend that inspires exploration and innovation. Were we not this way, we never would have migrated out of the horn of Africa. There wouldn’t be people living in Antarctica or in orbit around the earth.

It’s about potential, and getting as close to it as possible. For the first part of my adult life, I was in peak physical condition. Sober. Mind like a steel trap. But I needed to grow as a husband and father. I didn’t put in max effort, and it contributed to the collapse of my first marriage. In my 30’s and 40’s, I grew in these areas, built a good marriage, had another child, learned to be a better father, and grew quickly in my faith.
But I drank, and I let myself go physically for a time.

Now I am working to get as fit and healthy as I can, while continuing to grow in the good areas of my life.

I found balance when I quit drinking. You are young, still finding your stride. You will hit it one day. Just keep getting better at getting better. That’s all we can do.

Balance-that’s exactly what I’m looking for. In everything.

It’s hard for me to wrap my mind around “having it all”. And “all” for me isn’t materialistic…it’s love, companionship, joy, friendship, acceptance.
I want to find my stride so badly. I’ll definitely keep working on it. I just hope I won’t be trying to find it forever.

I love what you just said. I’m nothing materialistic, but I’m a seeker of true love, friendship, joy and peace. However I think I will always be chasing it, but I wish I will « have more » than what I do have right now. Winter is rough this year… Have a good night

Maintaining balance requires constant energy and focus. Think about it. Stand in front of a mirror with feet shoulder width apart. Easy to maintain, right? Now close your eyes. Gets a little harder. Open your eyes, and stand on one foot. Harder? Now close your eyes.

Think about when your kids were learning to stand and walk. They’d just be standing one minute, and boom. Straight down on their butts, or walking across the room weaving like a drunk.

Life balance is the same way. Our world is constantly changing around us, and we need to constantly shift our selves in reaction to these changes. Through exercising our minds, bodies, and spirit, we can learn to shift our energies forward and back, side to side, to maintain balance. Balance is dynamic, not static.

I had to take this week as a rest week…unscheduled one…cause I’ve been battling a flu…Hope it passes quick

Rest is exactly what you need, and you’ll only come back stronger, right down to the cellular level. Get well soon.

So I am on skiing hol with my sis and family, never skiied before, (nearly 40).used the hol to get sober and try something different. I run and have recently joined a Tri club but drinking and working out is not getting me very far :thinking:. Loving skiing, really scary too but what a feeling now have grasped a little bit and gliding down slopes! (or stacking it on weak leg!) day 5 of not picking up and day 3 of proper skiing :ski:. Awesome. Sept was last run of sobriety…today I am sober and ready for the next blue slope! :grin:

Today I am practicing an important part of any workout/fitness regimen, a part which I ignore far too much: a day off!

I posted my first C25k day like a month ago. A string of rain and excuses left me doing next to nothing for fitness.

The same thing that always happens when I lapse on exercise struck last week: threw my back out. Apparently I needed the reminder. :roll_eyes: :disappointed:

Today almost better, so gonna get my ass out there for a hike. And resetting the clock on my daily-reps challenge to get back on the horse!

4 workouts in 5 days, I’m actually getting the ball rolling, which is nice. I took yesterday off because I was travelling and exhausted, but I did do a short hike instead, and got back on it today.

Maybe this is the group to ask: I want to improve my cardio but found interval training psychological torture. Any other suggestions, or do I just need to get over it?

What cardio do you enjoy? Running, swimming, rowing, skipping rope, zumba? There’s many ways to build cardio without killing yourself. I like hitting a heavy bag. The key is to find the activity you enjoy.