Yoga chat 2023/2024

There are normally a few yoga people kicking about but no general chat thread at the moment. So here is one :laughing:

I am starting my year with the intention to do more yoga. Have practised on and off since 2018. I like the idea of daily practice but it is a big commitment and I struggle with that.

Currently on day 12 of Yoga With Adrieneā€™s new year Center journey. Iā€™m not worried about finishing it late. I always LOVE how a regular yoga practice makes me feel. Such a good way of building strength. And I personally find that Adriene packages a bit of the philosophical side of yoga in an accessible way.

Anyone else doing Center? Or if not, what yoga are you doing at the moment?

I started doing a yoga with Tim playlist a while back and got sick or something that interrupted my yoga. So might try and pick that up at some point. I know Kassandra is well liked too, so thatā€™s on my list. I have also had Rebel Yoga Tribe on youtube recommended. So many options! If I can get through a playlist from each of them this year that would be awesome.

6 Likes

As I am a regular practicioner Iā€™d join in the chat. I just donā€™t follow/comment all the posted videos. I could but it would be German.

2 Likes

Think there is already a yoga thread as a lady sent me the link to yoga with Adrienne at the start of the year and i have also been trying it out.

2 Likes

That thread is not here anymore :pensive:

How are you finding YWA? I am really enjoying it. Also surprised at how much physically stronger I feel already!

2 Likes

I remember talking with you aaaages ago about yoga teacher training. How is that going/ did that go?

3 Likes

Oh right okay lol, yes its difficult at first but i am hanging in there thanks

1 Like

Hmmm. I am signed up for Center and havenā€™t done ONE day. I am taking it a wee bit easy on myself this go around, but I really need to do it because my neck, my back, my legs, are all a disaster. I am going to be to crack and break in my 60s-80s if I donā€™t work on my flexibility.

Thanks for the thread, it motivates me to get back and do Day 1. Itā€™s never too late.

Howā€™s the level on this one? I may pivot and do one of her beginner series.

4 Likes

It is quite a strong practice I think - but I think itā€™s still on the right side of accessible. Especially if you have a bit of yoga vocabulary already and are prepared to just take breaks and dial it back when you need to!

Definitely no reason to not start just cos itā€™s not the start of January though. 30 days of yoga is still 30 days of yoga however they line up with the calendar :blush:

@meg2 is this your first go at youtube yoga or is it something youā€™ve done before?

1 Like

This is a big ā€œresolutionā€ for me. I do have a tendency to be like, ā€œWelp, fā€™ed that up - might as well start next month.ā€ It has not served me.

1 Like

ha yep! or even, well i havenā€™t done that so might as well not do it at all. fun twisted logic!!

that is why i am not doing a thing where i catch up on the days missed. i had two days in a row where i didnā€™t practice and i was like, i need to go bet back to this or iā€™m losing it completely. that feels like a healthier way than trying to cram it into 30 days regardless or giving up completely!

1 Like

Hi, i am a yogini too :woman_in_lotus_position:t2:
Happy about a chat thread. :cherry_blossom:
Will joyn a 90 minutes live class tonight.
Totally happy to have a new absolut non slippery mat :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Takes me to another level.

2 Likes

I love yoga, have been doing it off and on for 20 years. I have done many types but I like the more traditional practices, I love Ashtanga Mysore but right now I am doing a more modern yoga that includes a bit of core work bc I need that! I feel so much better in every way when I am doing yoga regularly.

4 Likes

Yeah, itā€™s been some time. I am still in the program but finally decided that being a teacher is really not my cup of coffee. Itā€™s difficult to describe and my thoughts are swinging a bit. But itā€™s mostly guilt than the recognition itself.

3 Likes

I practice yin yogaā€¦stretch the fascia, calm the mind. Yin is also very helpful for runners and humans who can benefit from slowing down. It pairs well with restorative yoga, which is healing in general.

5 Likes

1st time for me

3 Likes

Yoga teacher of 20 years here!

My current practice looks quite a bit different from what my younger self would have considered a steady practice.

Right now, about 5 months pregnant, I am dealing with some significant hip pain. So my current praftoce looks like gentle stretching with yoga style Physical Therapy exercises. Once that is done, a 45 minute walk andā€¦rather than meditation, Iā€™ve currently been journaling.

My old purist self would have said ā€œwell thatā€™s not a freaking yoga practice!ā€ Butā€¦.each moment I spent on these exercises is one I try to spend in a present, mindful place. It is my time for my mind and my body andā€¦it is really keeping me level, engaged and present in the rest the of my life.

Feeling grateful for my ability to notice when to pivot. :heart:

7 Likes

This looks like what I need in my life.

2 Likes

We all do IMHO. :heart:

2 Likes

What do you feel guilty about?

I think itā€™s OK to do the training and realise you donā€™t want to be a teacher. I bet youā€™ve learned loads that you can apply to your own practice and life!

3 Likes

Iā€™ve mainly done Hatha yoga I think, I am not overly familiar with the different styles. There is a yoga festival in the UK where I did an Ashtanga session with Kamal Singh. Phew it was pretty intense! They also have a lot of stuff around pranayama and teachers with lineages from particular Gurus which is wonderful to experience.

1 Like