180 days - outed myself on social media

Hey all!
Today has been a great day! I hit 6 months and decided to share on social media. I had already talked about my sobriety with close friends and family but hadnā€™t made it totally public until today. Iā€™m happy to say that Iā€™ve received nothing but love and positivity from everyone! For those who are curious and/or considering making a move such as this themselves - here is how I worded it:

ā€œAt the start of this year I made a resolution (more accurately a decision) to finally rid myself of a demon that has plagued me for nearly half of my life. To be fully present in my life and, in turn, my sonā€™s. Six months later and I feel amazing - physically and mentally. Iā€™ve accomplished so much in such a short amount of time that I am literally awe-struck. I donā€™t know what the future holds but Iā€™m looking forward to experiencing it - sober. :blush:ā€

I didnā€™t want to come off as high and mighty, shame anyone who choses to drink, or go into detail about my own struggles. I feel really positive and every day Iā€™m getting more comfortable identifying as a non-drinker. I no longer feel shameful about my struggles or uncomfortable when the inevitable ā€œwant a drink?ā€ pops up in social interactions. Iā€™ve found that a polite ā€œno, thank youā€ is generally all that needs to be said. Anyway, I hope you all have a wondeful sober holiday weekend. :blush:

29 Likes

Woooooohooooo @MissQuinn

3 Likes

amazing job congratulations :smiley: Great job getting through those rough days. :smiley: :tada:

1 Like

@MissQuinn. Congratulations! Amazing job. Great to see you are actually feeling benefits from recovery. Keep up the work

1 Like

Great job on your milestone! Your FB past was great and Iā€™m glad youā€™re receiving support. That was very rave, way to go!

2 Likes

Great post @MissQuinn, as always!

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this! I have been debating going public but Iā€™m just too petrified right now. Congrats on 6 monthsā€¦ so inspiring! I really hope I can get to where you are and be content with sharing. Iā€™m sure more people in our lives have the same struggle and can relate more than we know <3

2 Likes

6 months @MissQuinn !!
Congratulations sister :heart: :tada: :tada:

You have been an ongoing source of strength for me and I am so very proud of you for coming this far!!
:heart: :yellow_heart: :purple_heart:

1 Like

Congratulations @MissQuinn!!

1 Like

I am envious of your 6 months and obvious clarity of mind.

Congratulations. :slight_smile:

Any advice you can pass on to a gentleman 10 days in? Specifically, my head feels cloudedā€¦ foggyā€¦ cant think straightā€¦ so much so that someone was talking to me about something and i was likeā€¦ yeah yeahā€¦ so what about blah?.. ā€œblahā€ was the thing they were just talking aboutā€¦ i knew it tooā€¦ but i meanā€¦ that was embarrassingā€¦

1 Like

Yea! Here are some things that helped me in early recovery:

Also your mental clarity can take a little while to come back but it does indeed come back! Make sure you are eating healthy and getting plenty of rest. Also supplementation can really help - particularly B vitamins as a lot of us are deficient. Check out some of the threads on vitamins/supplements. There is a ton of info out there. :blush:

2 Likes

Thanks miss ok cool i will look into vitamin supplementsā€¦ my diet is terrible. Thanks so much. Wishing you continued success in your journey.

1 Like

Woohoo you go girl!!!

1 Like