Surviving Alcohol Withdrawal/Early Sobriety Techniques

Hello everyone!
I’m seeing a lot of new faces on here! Welcome! One question comes up so often that we need a thread dedicated to it: How do I get through the first few days after quitting drinking?

I have listed a few tips and tricks that I have used. Please feel free to add any strategies that have helped you manage the intensity of the first few days. We’re in this together! Stay strong everyone!

1.) Stay busy! Distract your mind from the cravings. I’ve found that cleaning/organizing can be a great way to be productive during this time.
2.) Write it out! Either in a journal or on the forum - get those emotions out.
3.) Music! Blast it - sing it - dance it out.
4.) Exercise! Even if you just go for a brisk walk. Getting your blood flowing and some endorphins kicking can work wonders.
5.) De-stress! Take a long shower or bath. (Ladies - I find that washing my hair can really help to elevate my mood)
6.) Trick your brain! Have a substitute beverage ready. I like to drink sparkling water out of a wine glass or iced tea out of a pilsner. Sparkling cider is awesome too because you can still pop a bottle. Same actions - minus the alcohol. This is especially helpful for daily drinkers. raises hand
7.) Get some support! Talk it out on the forum or go to a meeting. Sometimes you need someone in the moment. We are here!
8.) Get rid of all the alcohol in your house! I know you don’t want to - I know it seems wasteful. IT’S NOT. You are saving yourself! Throw that ish away! Do it! You’ll thank me later.

51 Likes

I got nothing @MissQuinn, you covered it all :wink:

3 Likes

Oh, wait…educate yourself

3 Likes

Wow. That’s quite a compliment coming from you @Melrm! :purple_heart:

Yes I was hoping you would link to your thread! That is a great resource!

4 Likes

Yeah, @MissQuinn that really covers it! I will refer people here. Only thing I would add besides music for distraction is watching lots of TV, movies, YouTube, etc. That helped me early on.

4 Likes

Ah see that’s a trigger for me. I used to sit and drink and watch my favorite shows and movies. I couldn’t focus on anything the first week. Movies, tv…even trying to read a book was difficult for me. If I was just hangin out - I’d want to drink. Just another illustration of how every persons journey differs! Thanks for your input! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

@MissQuinn I see what you mean. It’s sort of how even now I have a hard time not eating or snacking when watching TV upstairs, and I’m trying to lose more weight. One “trick” I use is to watch movies while lying on the couch downstairs. I position iPad at an angle (locked mode) and then it’s not possible to eat or drink horizontally! Plus if I fall asleep it’s a nice nap. :sleeping_accommodation:

@MissQuinn one more idea I thought of for under "5.) De-stress! "

Temporarily remove all unnecessary stressful and triggering activities. For example getting off of social media for a while, shutting off TV news, avoiding negative people if possible.

For example I had to cut out almost all Facebook activity and getting involved in political posts and “debates”. It’s been a big help!

9 Likes

Thank you miss Quinn good advice thanks

1 Like

Hey all! Just wanted to kick this post back up to the top so more people can see it. Monday is a great day to start fresh and make some changes. Happy sober day everyone. :blush:

3 Likes

I’ve definitely bookmarked this post!! I think it’s great to go back and re-read every so often to help stay focused on the goal of staying sober. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow this post is over a year old! Happy belated Birthday, post!

Commenting so the newer folks get to see this. :blush:

1 Like

This is great Thank you for sharing!

https://www.addictionsandrecovery.org/post-acute-withdrawal.htm

2 Likes

For me I like to play board games, go to a coffee shop with someone and chitchat, going to the movies, taking the dogs for a walk. Going to the park and playing a game. Hope this helps!!!

1 Like

I am un a small village so would love to meet for coffee but I guess I will hve a pod :joy::joy:

So, you dont have any coffee shops close to you? Where are u located if u dont mind me asking? What do u do for fun?

Great post…thanks for the info😁

North Highlands Scotland. Lovely little town so a small circle of friends who mostly drink in wkends but I hve 1 who is eager to get me to the gym…baby steps :joy::joy::joy: