A little bit about me

Hi everyone! I’ve been looking around the app for a few days. I wanted to get familiar with it before posting my story but here it goes.
I’ve had a drinking problem since I was about 16 and now I’m 24. I have no control over anything even when I’ve had one drink. That’s scary in of itself. I also have bipolar depression and I used alcohol as a crutch to deal with my confusing emotions. For some reason I just couldn’t say no. Then I moved away from New Jersey for a year to Arizona for a job at the Grand canyon. It was great and it seemed like my life was finally on track…but I would get bored sometimes. So I’d stock up on alcohol and get drunk when I had free time. I met a guy out there and he loved me. But I didn’t stop drinking. I’m a fool. We broke up because I said horrible things to him and I stole a bottle of his parents alcohol.
I seriously doubt we’ll get back together but I am going back to my job. All of this happened two weeks ago. And now I want to change. I’m tired of feeling hungover all the time, or feeling sick, depressed or damaged. I want to change my life. And this app is giving me a new perspective on my drinking problem.
Anyway thanks for letting me get it all out! I haven’t been able to talk to anyone about my problem.
Emily

7 Likes

Hi again @Betterbee thanks for sharing your story.

Just want to mention that the forum is also available outside of the App at talkingsober.com - if you did not know.

Have you decided yet to stop drinking? If so there are many resources available to help. Just ask out here.

1 Like

Oh yes I have decided to stop drinking! I’m going on day 3! Where should I ask for resources? I want to stay strong and focused.

1 Like

That’s great @Betterbee! :tada: :fireworks: :boom:

First note that this forum is also available from any browser at talkingsober.com without the App. The Sober Time app itself is great for tracking days, money saved, and milestones.

The main resources available from most to least “intense” would be something like this, but the key is to use a combination of them…

• Detox and inpatient treatment
  • Outpatient treatment (with counseling and access to a Dr.)
  • Medications
  • AA and other sober fellowships, and also forums like this
  • Books, online videos, articles
  • Meditation and motivational videos
  • Self-help stuff like worksheets, journaling, art, crafts.
  • (I’m sure I left out things)

Here is a useful thread on getting through early recovery:

(Surviving Alcohol Withdrawal/Early Sobriety Techniques)

And recovery-related links that members have posted:

(Different Aspects of Recovery)

2 Likes

I’ve been looking at the threads and I’ve been finding a lot of valuable support! Thanks for all the information! Do you have any books that could be useful?

1 Like

Hi @Betterbee. Welcome. And congratulations on the 3 days. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

1 Like

Thank you for listening! I’ve never really had anyone who did that. So thank you!

I read a few book during AA, but they are a bit too old-timey and dated. I’ve been reading now “The Recovery Book” which was highly recommended by @Melrm and others, as a kind of “bible” of recovery. We have a “book club” thread on it now. I’m not even half-way through yet:

Others are reading “This Naked Mind” and discussing on another thread:

1 Like

Thank you very much! I’m asking for books because I have a job in a very remote place and I won’t be able to get internet connection or WiFi so that will help a lot!

1 Like