Am I alone trying social media sobriety?

Seriously.
I’ve just signed off of everything except this app. It may not be forever. But I’m finally realizing I feel almost as “enslaved” to it as I’ve been to alcohol! This is just my personal struggle… no judgements here… not saying an thing wrong with them at all if they don’t affect you negatively. Just looking for support, and to give support to anyone with this particular “addiction”?

4 Likes

I am “social media sober” (excepting this forum), as I found it was the mental equivalent of junk food, and did not bring out the best in me. You are what you eat, and this includes your mind, as well…at least that’s the way I see it.

4 Likes

I use FB but I’ve had to unfollow and leave groups and keep it to just the friends that matter to me. I was getting to wrapped up in drama which was not good for my mental health.

I do have twitter but rarely log on except during important news events that I want live updates to. I also have Pinterest for recipes and art projects but not for any social aspect. Lastly Instagram I have but ONLY to follow my daughters to make sure they are not posting anything inappropriate.

So, yeah, FB is my only social media and it has been massively cut back. Though looking at my list it really doesn’t look like that’s true. LOL

3 Likes

But it does appear that you have managed to set rules and boundaries for social media that I could not…sorta like the difference between a “normal drinker” and an alcoholic.

1 Like

Ha. Yet I don’t think I’m “normal” anything.

I do catch myself replying to things and then deleting them because I realize I’m slipping back into the drama (like if a friend comments on a news article and it shows up on my feed…I wish that didn’t happen).

I suspect I’ll always be dealt with those urges just like my alcohol cravings.

3 Likes

Nope! I totally felt the same way! Try not to go on Facebook, takes up easy too much time and emotions

1 Like

Social Media is not my addiction BUT I deleted everything except Pinterest 2 years ago and I realized how much time I wasted trying to appear perfect. And how influenced I was by other appearances on there. Crazy!

I’m 9 days abstinent from Binge Eating.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve just deleted fb and messenger feel much more free if u know what I mean…meeting time soon

2 Likes

I deleted instagram and did some serious dusting on facebook. I deleted all my photos, most of my likes and only stayed in one very positive group about parenting. If it weren’t for this goup I would have deleted it all together.
I was also having a social media problem and I already feel awesome after deleting instagram.
Fb is just a matter of time, really. I want to live, not scroll.

1 Like

Here’s a topic about it:

1 Like

I’ve literally this minute just finished detoxing my Facebook, set up a new account and gone from 200ish “friends” to around 40, realised I’d never speak to these people and that it’s all just about ego, people only show the things they want you to see and you’re just a number that adds to their collection of contacts.

1 Like

I quit Facebook in July 2016. Never looked back! Was spending hours of my life just scrolling through it and it never made me feel good!

2 Likes

@Yoda-Stevie
You just read my mind! Mental junk food and yes…with the long winter inside and less to do its so easy and for me, the lazy thing to do to just keep scrolling …till I’m finding myself irritated by all the conflicts and craziness out there even though I refuse to take part in it. Definitely not healthy for me!

1 Like

I fill that need here. More healthy for me to be amongst my fellow addicts in recovery, than amongst those who haven’t a clue. Here, these groovy souls know the deal, respect and care about each other, whereas out there amongst the “Friends” and the Twits and the Instagrats, that care and respect is rare…and superficial.

Shoot, I figured that last part out when I was drinking, it was that obvious to me.

1 Like

@VSue
I mainly used FB originally to stay in touch with family who don’t live close, and it grew from there, and yes…got out of control and that’s the big one that’s the problem for me. I’ve tried twitter for the same reason you mentioned …lol…but for my little brain I found it too confusing so I deleted it…probably a good thing for me. I love instagram but for now I’ve shut that off too just so I can pull back and focus more on getting well and alcohol sobriety. This sounds crazy because I love my friends and family who are the only ones I am connected to on Instagram. But when I am struggling and I go on there and see all the happy happy things everyone constantly posts…sometimes It makes me more depressed. I hate admitting that because I love them and want them to be happy , and I know no one is living a pollyanna life, they just don’t post those pictures…lol. I just need some time to regroup in my head so when I return to it all, if I return to it all, it is with a fresh and positive perspective and when I can be happy for them AND for me.
Funny thing? I didn’t delete my accounts, just logged off because I don’t want to loose all my contacts, history , pictures, etc. As and extra safeguard so I don’t log on by habit, I tried deleting the apps off my phone, and it can’t be done! They are factory installed. So I hid them. Hope it’s enough!

@Yoda-Stevie
Very true…and I love the nicknames! :joy:

1 Like

@VSue
I’ve done that many times…started to get sucked into the drama…sometimes I’m in it before I realize it and then I have an “oh shit” moment and wish I could take it all back. I’m a bit excitable (bipolar 2), perimenopausal (sorry guys) crazy lady at this point in my life who once I get going…a budweiser team of Clydesdales can’t hold me back!! LOL :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
It’s generally better for everyone that I just don’t “go there” with most issues…lol! :wink:

1 Like

@MooseHead
Amen to that!!!

1 Like