Depression and relapsing

I had a really bad depressed day yesterday. Really unmotivated, just couldn’t shake it. Caused me to have waves where I wanted to drink really bad to get those happy feelings and a warm tummy. But I didn’t. What do other people do when they struggle feeling like this?

1 Like

Distract yourself by doing something you enjoy, listen to music, read a book, watch a movie, go for a walk. write down a list of reasons why you are choosing to stay sober and a list of things you don’t miss about drinking. Sometimes seeing it written down, helps get rid of the urge to drink. I struggle with anxiety and depression as well and it just plain sucks - especially when you are used to comforting yourself with alcohol. But just stay focus on the positive things going on in your life and your future goals.

3 Likes

Really when you are in that mindset is the moments you need to be reacting. Exercise is good for that. Meditation supposedly works :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:(we all know I suck at this) Meetings. Call your sponsor. Call any support you have. Go shopping. Clean or do chores(it really does help). Don’t stay there for long it’s a bad place to exist. Now don’t expect to always be the happiest person everyday but we learn to balance these emotions out as time goes by. A lot of it is the body healing. It sucks but it gets better.

3 Likes

I eat a heavy meal and drink lots of water.
Make myself feel the full feeling.

I would never eat if I was going to drink. Ruin the buzz and take longer.

Work

Worked for me.

5 Likes

Sorry you have been going through a rough time. I feel like this often. Goal setting has been really helpful. Even if it’s something small like going outside for a few minutes each day. Also taking a long shower and washing my hair helps me feel a little better.

As for the goal setting: I plan to reward myself for making it to one year with a tattoo. I have the money now but I’m waiting until I earn it (with sobriety). In the beginning I would often give myself a small reward for hitting milestones. Keeping those rewards in mind really helps. Even if it’s eating ice cream tomorrow for making it through today. :slight_smile:

I hope you feel better. You are not alone.

2 Likes

Haha love that idea of purposely sabotaging the buzz.

If i ate a big meal too it was a buzz kill. Could never get hammered on a full stomach.

Trying to think of more buzzkills now… i dunno… yeah work… you already said that… damn you good.

1 Like

Thank you guys for the tips. I struggle with poor motivation to even do anything at all at times. Like an out of body experience of what dread. When I come back it’s like I was just wrapped up in so much negative energy