Did you get a new job or promotion after getting sober?

No promotion but I was able to KEEP my job. Then I retired quite comfortable and sober. Life is good.

4 Likes

Since I quit drinking in December 2017 and started getting after it, my year-over-year commissions went up $10K, and I just got promoted into a more senior sales role. Little bump on the base salary, and more commissions potential. Even if I stayed in my old role, Iā€™m was tracking to make 60% more than before, and in this new role, who knows what the upper limit is?

Sober and living life. Sober and getting after it.

4 Likes

I was let go of a great job making good money and that sent me into a downward spin of drinking non stop every day. I got help. While in the hospital a recruiter called me out of the blue about a job, I interviewed after I got out of the hospital and got the job! It pays even more than the last and they are talking promotion already. The fuzzy mind is gone, and the shakes are a thing of the past. One day at a time I am moving forward in a positive fashion.

7 Likes

Yes I also got a job paying about 35% more. Itā€™s helped a lot now that I enjoy my job and surroundings more.

2 Likes

Yes I saw that pic you posted. Beautiful work!

Must be tough having a ninja for a boss. :grinning:
You never know when they are right behind you.

1 Like

@LadyZode I see you are moving on to better things too. :smile:

I didnā€™t necessarily get promoted, however I did become a much more trusted and integrated team member and that was only within a month of being sober. :slight_smile: Itā€™s all of the little positive things that have helped me get straight back on the wagon after a recent relapse.

4 Likes

Sober I was brave enough to get a new, better payed job and quit my actual job. Sure, nobody can give me the guarantee that the new job is better but Iā€™ll only see that when I try right? One step at a time :muscle::blush:

2 Likes

I have a new job. I was offered a FT position within my field after completing 7 gruelling years of school. And I am absolutely loving it and enjoying going everyday without the brain fog :heart:ļø

3 Likes

I got a 20% raise like a month after I quit drinking. Whatā€™s funny is I thought I did great at work before. But looking back I was just working to get to my next drink. I was just trying to make it till lunchtime so I could runt to the store and fill my cup with some ice and energy drink. Top it off with some vodka and back to work I go. Then it was the same think till quitting time. All that I thought about was that ā€œroad drinkā€ for the drive homeā€¦ Man I sucked! Lol.

So yeah, when I quit and my boss and good friend saw I was serious, he gave me a big raise:)

7 Likes

Great thread! I got a job hitting exactly the three criteria I was looking for after I got sober. Iā€™m in a leadership role where they respect me and my experience and expertise. Itā€™s super challenging and stressful yet I get to practice my spiritual practice of mindfulness and intentionality everyday- and I see results.

BTW, Last night I orchestrated a fundraiser at a winery - i was surrounded by yummy high end wine and I realized that I was grateful to not be distracted by how I was gonna drink. I felt liberated.

No raise yet but I get to hire to expand my team.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the American dreamā€¦ nice

Wow :heavy_dollar_sign: :heavy_dollar_sign: :heavy_dollar_sign:

I did. Once I stopped drinking I left a well paid Job I hated, for a reduced salary job elsewhere (some peeps thought I had lost the plot, giving up booze and moneyšŸ˜) Iā€™ve been doing my new job for just over a month and went for an internal position/promotion. I got offered it yesterday. Woop woop being sober is a life giver. Xxx

3 Likes

Thatā€™s cool! I too love making changes I need instead of drinking to ignore them.

My new job is going great. Fingers crossed it becomes a permanent position. They made me a department rep so itā€™s looking good.

How is everyone else doing at the new jobs?

1 Like

I got out of the construction world. Mainly laying floors and renovations. Started a new gig as a pool man cleaning all these millionaires houses on the lake. Huge change of scenery and makes me hustle that much more seeing all these beautiful cars and mansions. So yea, and the pay is decent with a company truck. Guy in the program referenced me and here I am.

4 Likes

Yes. I have been promoted twice, and my variable compensation has increased dramatically. I attribute this to getting up and getting after it early, so when the workday begins, I am firing on all cylinders, and I no longer spend the last hour of the day counting down to ā€œdrink-30ā€. Now I play to the buzzer.

6 Likes

Hell yeah! It just motivates me even more. I layed around alot at first Iā€™m 27,divorced ,no children. I was lucky to have my Mom&Dad they make a great support system. I stayed home feeling blah at first almost 7months, no job no motivation no car . Iā€™ve been working 8 months now. I love my job more than any job in the past sober or high. I feel silly for not getting out to work sooner. But im doing great now thatā€™s so it worked out & I got a car about 2 months ago ! Having that freedom of blasting my music in my car with the windows down has only amplified this good mood. My doc was opiates,towards the end IV Heroin. I never thought Iā€™d b able to work without drugs .

3 Likes

Same here and the same route to iv. I totally understand the hermit stage detoxing. I did the same for 2 months. I still worked but i went straight home. But on the good side I recently did see a dollar raise and much more respected. I used to get treated shyty as a junkie. They are in a position now if i left thier small buisness they would fold. So they are not in a position to get rid of me but i could leave. Ohhhā€¦how the tides have changed. Annd im not too set on working here after this yearā€¦

2 Likes

Congratulations on your clean time, the job and the car.

I love the freedom of playing music in my own car on a sunny day. I live in a big city so I bought my first car not that long ago, having used transit before that.

1 Like