Down the drain

Hey everybody I’m new here period I just found this application and decided to start using it. I am 35 years old and I’ve been an alcoholic since I was 15. I’ve also been married 15 years and my wife and I have 3 kids. I cannot tell you how many times I have tried giving up alcohol. Many times should I have been pulled over and arrested. It has affected my marriage time and time again. I am not a angry drunk or over flirtatious drunk, but I don’t know how to stop once I start. Which always leads to arguments. My wife is told me a couple of times now, whenever I get sloppy drunk, that she wants to be separated. I know she says it because she’s upset but there is truth to it I’m sure. How can she respect a man that has tried to stop drinking and always comes back to it. It’s a waste of money and a waste of time. There was no where we eat or no where we go where I don’t get a drink or pre game. What always begins as a great time always end up in a horrible time once alcohol gets involved. I have been putting this off too long comma and I am sick and tired of half-heartedly committing myself to sobriety. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me! Phillipians 4:13

12 Likes

PS the down the drain subject title is all the alcohol being poured out from my fridge hahaha

9 Likes

Congrats on taking that first step. It can be hard to pour it all out, but so necessary. Your story sounds a lot like mine. I would pregame for events that HAD alcohol, because I was sure they wouldn’t have enough, and I didn’t want people realizing how much I drank. I can put that shit away like no other.

3 Likes

This sounds like the way things have been with me. Father of 2 and when it came to drinking it was like a sprint to the end. Has been affecting my family for to many years. I quit 10 days ago and I am going to my first AA meeting tomorrow… nervous but I know it is time. Besides I look at it this way… I have had enough alcohol to last me a life time. Now it is time to look at my health, wife, and children. What would that life look like without them… no bottle can replace that.

3 Likes

Yeah that is true. I have what you would call a high tolerance so I would pregame to make sure I got a buzz or drunk. Disgusting really. I am really excited to see where this takes me period I have quit before and lasted 10 months and it was 10 of the best months I’ve ever had.

1 Like

I’m going to my first AA meeting tomorrow as well. It wasn’t until this morning that I realized I am a alcoholic. The bitter truth. I pray and hope the best for you and all on this forum will be a success for others and most importantly our spouses and children.

4 Likes

If @Elisabeth and I had partied together…we’d all be in big trouble…lol :wink: Now we just drink coffee and hit up AA meetings…and pick on eachother.

1 Like

Lol for sure. :blush:

@Elisabeth ya, my wife and I are coffee aficionados as well! Im excited on this road to sobriety. Thanks for the responses y’all

1 Like

Keep those 10 months close as your inspiration… you got this and we got you

1 Like

Good for you!! You can do it!

1 Like

Thank you guys and gals! I’m feeling very confident and strong

Hi @Trojan_gil and welcome to the forum. :wave: Congrats on taking the first big step. (fyi this forum is also available at talkingsober.com)

Thanks for sharing your story, and great you are getting off to a good start with AA. Forget how many times you’ve tried before, only this time counts. You will find many people here who share similar experiences and challenges.

Here is a useful thread on getting through early recovery:

(Surviving Alcohol Withdrawal/Early Sobriety Techniques)

And recovery-related links that members have posted:

(Different Aspects of Recovery)

@Trojan_gil

I get it, drinking was my favorite past time as well and from what it sounds like you are a lucky man to have such an understanding wife. It’s obvious you want to get help for your drinking and it sounds like your heart is in the right place.

It sounds like you need a way to execute a plan to stop drinking. A lot of habitual behavior is hard to change but defintely can happen, I am a big believer in anything is possible especially if you give it to God.

Be patient with yourself, get the right tools to help you stay sober, ask for help, stay away from people or places that make you want to drink and do things that enhance your life with positivity. Stopping drinking defintely has to be something you are ready for, belive me I was out of control and nobody could tell me to stop drinking.
It has to be something you want not for anyone else but for yourself. I wish you the best of luck & sending prayers your way. :grin:

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your story!! Good for you that you are willing/wanting to have a better life!! I can relate in many ways to your story. I agree that it is a must to pout all the alcohol down the drain. Keep up the great work!!

Hope your first meeting went well. I went to my first last night and was blown away by the support. I will be going back.

1 Like