Exercise and recovery

Something my doctor recommended for recovery is exercise she requires me to work out 30 minutes a day 5 days a week.I started this last week because it’s been a few months since I was working out…I was too busy drinking and ruining my health lol
Today I got an assessment to start a year workout plan. I’m able to take my health more serious now and I look forward to the things I can accomplish when I don’t drink.
Bonus: Got to tell the employee that I stopped drinking a little over a month ago…5 weeks …37 days to be exact but whose counting right???lol me!

Share with me if you agree this is a good outlet or has helped you remain sober.

5 Likes

I’d say it’s a great outlet. Even when I was drinking, a good run would make me not want to drink that night. I’m actually debating going to the 24/7 gym now because I’m bored and not tired and boredom makes me want to drink lol.

2 Likes

@mwh lol yup same!I get very ansy and exercise helps me sleep.You should totally do it.

Exercise helps so much. Eventually you’ll start to get natural endorphin highs from working out vs synthetic ones from alcohol. Plus you get the health benefits.

2 Likes

Exercise is a great way to supplement your new sober lifestyle. I am a fitness fanatic, so I am huge advocate for exercising.
When I was drinking, I would exercise like a mad woman with very little, or very slow, gains. Once I stopped drinking I lost about five pounds, and dropped two percent in my overall BMI in less than a month.
Once you start watching the pounds fly off, or your muscles become more developed and defined, you won’t want to drink!

Good luck! Reach out to me if you need any advice regarding the gym; I lift like a dude :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

@Soaring_Spirit I will definitely ask for some advice if needed thanks girl:)
I couldn’t believe how much body fat I had I was embarassed.Im learning to do more than just cardio and finally getting a new food plan too.I can’t friggen wait.

Good for you!
The hardest part is just getting started. Once you start to see results, it becomes an addiction - a healthy one :slight_smile:
Don’t forget to pick up some weights too, the best way to lose weight is to embraces both aspects of exercising: cardio and strength.

1 Like

Excercise changed my life! Well that is slightly dramatic but in early recovery my aa sponsor and others kept telling me to join a gym as it would help me to feel better, i’v never been into excercise at all and finally joined the gym a few months ago. I didn’t like it at 1st but I went (i do excercise classes) and it didn’t take long for me to start feeling the benefits of going so I slowly upped my classes per week, I now do about 5 or 6 a week, it’s only 45 minutes out of my day, the classes are pretty intense but I love it. It’s helped my mood tenfold, my sleep is amazing, I even lost weight ( i wasn’t over weight but needed some muscle tone) and it’s great for stress with the hormones excercise releases. Couldn’t imagine my life without it! Go you! :blush:

5 Likes

@Jojo that’s awesome
Ya it definitely helps me not crave alcohol, it’s something else to obsess over :blush:
Today I worked muscles I’ve never worked before in my arms and I’m so shakey…I’d rather be shakey from my workout than alcohol any day!

2 Likes

On Sunday I ran the London Marathon. I’m so proud of myself it was a very hot day in London. To be honest a drink at the end was the last thing I wanted. Just wanted to share. Proud.

2 Likes

That’s amazing. I gotta say over. Year later and exercise still helps me focus on sobriety, best route I could have chosen.
Keep doing what you’re doing.

2 Likes

Exercise has been a huge part of my recovery as well. I began running when I began trying to sober up And have been at it since. Helps me clear my mind.

1 Like

I do the biking and urban hiking (aka taking a walk) and it has been great for my spiritual condition. Once I get better shoes I want to start running again.

1 Like

Thank you. I’m almost 7 days sober. Wednesday’s (tomorrow) is my worst night as I host a bar quiz. I did it sober last week so just need to do the same again

I train every day keeps me balanced .Love it I’m clean two years .

1 Like

I have started walking an excessivley long route of my allready long walk home for fun lol. I like that urban hiking business

2 Likes

Walked clise to 8 miles in 2 days…i figure i can keep my butt sober, lets make that butt smaller!

2 Likes