First sober holiday/ vacation away

37 days sober and feeling very much more at peace in my life. Flying to Crete today for a week in the sun (live in Scotland) which I fully intend to be a booze free trip. In the past, cold beers on hot sunny days have almost been the definition a holiday but Iโ€™m hopeful that being sober will give me new eyes to see sunny breaks in a different light. Need to be on my guard though so will keep checking in with this community which has been a massive help on my journey to a better way of living. I even had a nightmare the other night that I had to hit the reset button! Thank you everyone who posts. This is my first post.

4 Likes

Hi @gingerbeerman and welcome to the forum. :wave: Congrats on 37 sober days!

Here is a useful thread on getting through early recovery:

(Surviving Alcohol Withdrawal/Early Sobriety Techniques)

And recovery-related links that members have posted:

(Different Aspects of Recovery)

1 Like

Welcome @gingerbeerman

1 Like

Great. Congrats. One of my closest friends is from Dumfermline.
Enjoy Crete. Have a plan before you leave the safety of home. What do I do when I begin to associate the sunny days with beer? What about dinners out when others may be drinking?
Best,
Chandler

1 Like

Welcome, and hope you enjoy a sober sunshine break. Like the others said, just be on guard - I know a holiday will be a trigger for me. And check in whenever you need to :sun_with_face:

1 Like

@gingerbeerman Have a great beer free vacation! I had another release dream last night too. Canโ€™t get away from them.

1 Like

Hi @gingerbeerman - a fellow Scot! Iโ€™m just outside Edinburgh :slightly_smiling_face:
Have a great holiday :sunglasses:

1 Like