Grateful to be here, now

First day here, Day 9 sober. I’ve done this before, every few years since I was 16…41 now and the consequences of continuing to drink are too serious. For the first time I really understand how far gone I was, the detox and withdrawal has been proof of that. But also the simple enjoyment of a morning not hungover, being able to help out around the house, play with my kids and be present with them. I’m still working on all of that of course, but what I do know is I can’t drink today. Strangely it almost feels like a relief to say that to myself and know it’s true. The debate is over, being a “high functioning” alcoholic is a myth and not good enough. It’s nothing to be proud of. So many good things in my life, my career, my family…and why risk it all, sell myself and everyone else short by doing the one thing guaranteed to destroy everything. If not this week, month, or year…drinking the way I was drinking (and always drink) was never going to end well. Grateful to be here, now, and with you in sobriety.

1 Like

Hi @Brian7 and welcome to the forum. :wave: Congrats on taking the first big step and 9 days.

Here is a useful thread on getting through early recovery:

(Surviving Alcohol Withdrawal/Early Sobriety Techniques)

And recovery-related links that members have posted:

(Different Aspects of Recovery)

Note that this forum is also available from any browser at talkingsober.com

Yes @Brian7 welcome to sobriety!