Hi all..new to this

I had my last drink a week ago today. I have only just realised I have a problem with alcohol…i don’t know when to stop drinking. I plan on having A couple of drinks but it ends up being so much more and a 3 day hangover. It was affecting my daughter and not being able to do things. I spent a day out with my daughter and we walked past so many bars. All the drinks looked so good. I kept walking but was close to going to one of the bars. I’ve had grumpy days where usually I would turn to a bottle of wine I haven’t done this are. I don’t quite know what to say. It’s the first time I ever done this. I’m scared of judgement from friends. Any tips??

2 Likes

Hi @Jen_Hubbard and welcome to the forum. :wave: Congrats on taking the first big step. You’re in the right place! Spend some time reading around recent discussions - you will see how much we all have in common.

Here is a useful thread on getting through early recovery:

(Surviving Alcohol Withdrawal/Early Sobriety Techniques)

And recovery-related links that members have posted:

(Different Aspects of Recovery)

Note that this forum is also available from any browser at talkingsober.com

Hi! Glad you’re here!

Hi! Great thanks will have a read :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi! Thanks. Taking that first step is huge

Hi and congratulations on taking that frust step it is one step that will change your life for everyone I know that for a fact because I’m a drug addicted and if I can stay away for drugs and alcohol so can u I have been clean for about 1046 days and what I’m going to say it’s going to get harder before it gets easier but u need to tell your self it’s just for today just think about it this way u have 24 hours that’s it and u can go to a AA meeting thay will help u with getting a Alcoholics Anonymous book and u can ready it and it helps if u get a sponsor just try to find someone who has a 1 year or more under there belt and thay will help u throw the 12 step program it works if u work it and if u ever need someone to talk to here for u

2 Likes

Hi @Jen_Hubbard. Welcome. Congrats on being sober for a week so far. Great job!

Hi @Jen_Hubbard,

Welcome! As others have said, you are in the right place. I too have felt like you do. I’ve been sober 23 days…This time. I’ve been in and out of AA since 2012. I still have the urge to drink, but somehow it’s different this time.

Read through some posts and you will see that we all deal with the same issues. The “my story” category might be a good place to start. Everyone here is very helpful and supportive. Keep checking in with us. We are all in this together! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Jen_Hubbard and welcome! I can relate to you as I can’t have just one or two without finding myself in a horrible blackout and or suffering a 2 day hangover or week long binge. And I like to drink when I’m grumpy, or annoyed. This forum has helped me so much. There are so many people with both similar and different experiences which is awesome because you can find encouragement and advise everywhere. I also feel more free to share myself, addiction, and experiences.
I only have 47 days but I’ve noticed most people and friends don’t care that I’m not drinking. In my 47 days I’ve attended two weddings, birthday parties, trivia nights, sporting events, family events, dinners, etc. I’ve definitely been tempted! Surprisingly only 2 friends have asked about me not drinking. Others probably speculated because I’m generally not without a drink in my hand. I told people I gave up alcohol for Lent. Now that the season is over I don’t know what I’ll say when asked. Honestley, I’m not ready to publicly announce a life of sobriety. Being so new, I’ve only shared with those closest who absolutely need to know. I’ve been fortunate that no one has pressured me yet. I’m sure that time will come. I found a helpful saying which I remind myself of when I’m tempted to drink: “I’d rather be sober than have to start over”. It reminds me that a few hours of drinking for whatever reason are not worth the regret and other crap that follows.

2 Likes

@hamluv16 that’s sort of easy. Just tell people that you abstaining during lent gave you a new perspective on alcohol. You loved how much energy, health benefits and no accidental drinking too much! You just feel like you have turned over a leaf and you just don’t enjoy drinking alcohol anymore. Well, that’s just my two cents. What better excuse is there?

1 Like

@Shattered_dreams, that’s a good idea. And it isn’t far from the truth either! One of the friends I mentioned did ask me how much longer I was doing the “not drinking thing”. I told him I wasn’t sure amd I’ve been feeling pretty good the past few weeks. I didn’t feel pressure but I think some people feel akward when they’re the only one or one of a few drinking. I used to be the girl you could always count on to drink with. The problem was that girl doesn’t know how or when to stop. And at a certain point was negative fun to be around. I’d much rather be sober and in control.

1 Like

Hi! Welcome to the forum! It’s a great place to ask questions and get support and hear other peoples experiences. It’s been really helpful for me to talk about what I’m going through. If you need to ask, people are willing to help!

Hi and thanks! I have so many questions just don’t know where to start. Need to have a good read then take it from there :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have been asked the same thing about how long
I’m aiming for a year then longer after that. I’m the same as you. Everyone could count on me for a drink but don’t know when to stop. I’m very much a binge drinker. I aim for a couple of drinks but never happens. It was mums birthday yesterday and I usually have a few drinks with her but I didn’t. Having a craving today but got to beat it :frowning:

1 Like

That’s a great saying. I will use this for sure.
“I’d rather be sober than have to start over”

1 Like

Thanks Everyone! Day 8 today and it’s been a tough day. Hoping tomorrow will be easier. I still need to read stories on here. I’m starting to tell friends and family what is happening. I have loads of support from everyone. I love the support that everyone gives on here. It’s amazing to see :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m new here as well. Just be you and take all the support you can get. If your friends don’t get it. Then the aren’t really good friends. I have had a lot of luck with my friends and family, and it’s a great thing to have. So just open up. It’s the hardest thing to admit, but the reward can be good so it worth the risk in my opinion.

Good job not drinking! It’s hard sometimes. I had a craving the other day as well. I found that flavored sparkling water helps me. It almost reminds me of a fruity cocktail or even sparkling wine which makes it an easy substitute. You can totally beat your cravings! :blush: