Hi. Needy post alert

Hi, so I’m on day three.
Alcohol. I’d drink during the day, keeping topped up with small (ish) amounts often buying my first bottle of vodka at 9am. It’s been about 6 months. Close to loosing everything.

SO… The cravings this morning are real and the addiction clouds my mind till I really can’t think of anything else.

It’s 11am here (London) it’s about when I’d be reaching for a shot.

I’m NOT going to…

How do you guys beat/ignore/overcome the urge?

2 Likes

Firstly congrats on day 3!
There are 101 ways, probably 11001 ways! Me personally, day 58, daily drinker and yes just kept topping up, would just tell myself - I can have a drink later, in 15 minutes or half an hour. I’ll just go and do… insert your own activity here!
It really helped and still helps, it felt like I wasn’t denying myself and feeling like 'woe is me , I can never drink again '. By the time id done the thing, made coffee cleaned teeth put washing on, compelling urge had gone. Other thing to do is speak to someone. I am bad at this but have taken to calling my daughter just to chat, it just stops that thought pattern! Keep strong, if I can, you can! :sunflower:

AA has really helped me, have you been?

1 Like

@0phelia. Well done getting through 3 days. The urges are real and you have to first of all become determined your ready. Then keep your mind busy. Are you able to function physically? Go for a brisk walk outside! You might wear a pair of shoes out lol. But it helps me for some reason. If you can manage to occupy your mind it will pass. Reading and meditation work also! The phone call is hard but it’s one you will benefit from so much. Meetings help you have the fellowship of other addicts. What hobbies can you start back up. You are right in the tough place just anything you can do DO if it keeps the bottle out of your hands. Good luck. You can do this. Keep your head up

1 Like

Thanks so much for all your replies,

Sallyd indeed there are so many ways! Recovery is as personal as the actual problem was.
Yes if I tell myself “it’s OK, have a drink later”, later is 20 mins later lol! Thanks for your tips It’s so inspiring that you have made it to nearly 2 months. That someone out there “like me” can do it.

MrM I’m not really an AA person, I went to groups but it seemed to make it worse… Thanks though.

OliverJ yes there are things I like doing, Tai Chi, drawing, walks… It’s true you just need to engage in another activity.

Yesterday was easier because I was in a different town but today I’ve been at the peppermint tea… Worried about leaving the house in case my legs walk me involuntary to the shops lol…

Off to do a but of Tai Chi… I’d actually recommend that to all of you.

1 Like

Hi @0phelia and welcome to the forum. :wave: Congrats on taking the first big step and 3 days!

Here is a useful thread on getting through early recovery:

(Surviving Alcohol Withdrawal/Early Sobriety Techniques)

And recovery-related links that members have posted:

(Different Aspects of Recovery)

Note that this forum is also available from any browser at talkingsober.com

There are also online AS meeting…