Hoping for a friend or two that I can check in with

I could really use a friend to talk with as well I want to get better and this is this first I have messaged on this app but have had if for 2 months

That’s what we’re all here for

1 Like

I know the feeling. I had to get new friends, in the program. I don’t have any other friends. It’s something I had to do for me. You can check in with me, if you want. I am online several times a day. Or you can email me at Smbest50@gmail.com. It does help to help to have someone in the program to chat with.

Welcome! You have come to the right place :grin:

So awesome to see such support from everyone. All have different stories but are aiming for the same outcome - a happier healthy life

Thank you. I think what be helpful to me is to check in w a friend each day so I have a voice as a reminder not to drink seeing that around me all my friends and family beg me to drink then I fall off

Thank you, I’d love that

Feel free to message me

Thank you Susie. I will do that. :slight_smile:

Thank you so much

@Jen3

Hi Jen,

I just want to say that if you don’t like the way alcohol reacts when you consume or you don’t like the person you are when you drinking alcohol then maybe that’s enough to make the decision to not drink. I personally quit drinking because I don’t like who I became when I drank alcohol. I mean I dont think an alcoholic has to drink everyday to be an alcoholic.

Personally I believe we all have free will, and we have to make choices in life and you have make the best choices that make you happy.

No matter what choice anyone makes, its your life and if you need support you came to the right place. :grin:

1 Like

Hi @Jen3 and welcome to the forum. :wave: Congrats on taking the first big step. Even at my worst I did not drink daily, but when I did I drank a lot and couldn’t control it. Social gatherings and dating can be very enjoyable without alcohol, just keep a favorite non-alcoholic drink in hand.

Here is a useful thread on getting through early recovery:

(Surviving Alcohol Withdrawal/Early Sobriety Techniques)

And recovery-related links that members have posted:

(Different Aspects of Recovery)

Thank you so far so good. One day at a time. I don’t think I’m ready to be in a setting where everyone is drinking as I use it to ease social anxiety

2 Likes

Hi @Jen3, I’m day 6 in my recovery and face the same challenge with dating and social situations. This week I picked up a book called the 21 day sugar detox at my yoga studio and began reading it. Really a lot of healthy information in it. Anyways, don’t know if I’ll do it or not, but… last night on my date (dinner and a social reception after) I avoided drinking by saying that I was on the 21DSD and wasn’t drinking alcohol for my health. It was interesting how quickly the conversation changed from encouraging me to drink to interest in this sugar detox diet. So maybe the next time you go out (because avoiding social situations is isolating and self-punishing) have a good reason prepared as to why you are not drinking alcohol (training for a walk a thon, 30 day health challenge, in support of your mom’s memory, etc.). The important thing is that the reason you are not drinking needs to be meaningful to you and people will stop pressuring when they sense your confidence. Best wishes to you! You’ve got this!

2 Likes

Thank you. I can relate a lot. You gave good advice. I’m gonna try that

Hey there. Im new my self. Im on day 16 on my 2nd attempt. Also new here and looking for sober people to chat with. I had an urge today but I hit a noon meeting and that got me through

Hi and welcome to the forum! You’ll find a lot of great resources and people here. Post and check in whenever you feel like it. Best of luck on your journey. We all got your back and are rooting for you. You CAN do this! I have 20 days today. You’ll see the dayd stack up fast!

1 Like

Alcohol is also my issue.

Feel free to send to me too . Stay strong , er all here to help .that goes to anyone who also want to write anything

Agreed. We have to sacrifice some of the things we uses to do. I am avoiding concerts, sporting events, and alot bkrrt of people I know so I don’t relapse again. I am meeting people in AA though. And I actually met some really good people in rehab and 2 live close to me. Its gonna take time, but it will be worth it. I just think of the day I checked in. I never want to feel that sick again.