I could really use a drink

Day 3. I’ve had a stressful and busy week so far and that is usually enough to trigger me into drinking. I’m out of smokes but I don’t think I can go to the store without buying alcohol. I know I’ll feel better tomorrow at work not hungover, but this is so difficult right now. I’m exhausted and feeling depressed.

1 Like

I’m sorry you’re craving but juat think of how it will feel tomorrow to wake up with 4 days under your belt and mo hangover! You can do it!

4 Likes

Being hungover will only add to your stress. Drinking doesn’t take any of your problems away or make life easier. Alcohol is a big fat liar. Stay busy or go to bed early. If I can stay sober, so can you. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Im at day 3 myself and can can’t sleep at all because I’m having an intense craving. About to just make myself some tea and try to ride this out. They say if you can do the first few days things should gradually ease up. Good luck and don’t forget to appreciate the great accomplishment you have made by just deciding to make this new start.

2 Likes

Thank you for your kind words and support. It’s nice to have a comrade in recovery. In ten minutes I’ll have 4 days in, so that is keeping me going. Good luck to you on your journey.

3 Likes

Kind of makes you feel alive, doesn’t it?

Hey @Treesa basically do anything but drink. Take a walk (in other direction!), listen to music, watch tv, movies, read, eat something good or bad, drink something else, nap, call someone, etc, etc.

Here is a useful thread on getting through early recovery:

(Surviving Alcohol Withdrawal/Early Sobriety Techniques)

And recovery-related links that members have posted:

(Different Aspects of Recovery)

1 Like

Day 3 is the worst day, at least it was for me (I’ll be 50 days tomorrow). By day 3, I was bored and wanted to drink to have something to do. I drank every day for about 7 years, not enough to black out but just enough to make me tired so I could sleep. This last time, after I made it 3 days I just tredged through until I got to a week, then 2 weeks, then a month. Just take it day by day, look at this app for support and just remember why you’re doing this. You’re doing this for yourself!

2 Likes