I'm tired of making a fool out of myself

This is my first day on here. Alcohol has been consuming me for the past few months. It is time to overcome it. I read some stories on here and I am literally in tears. Lately I’ve been drinking to the point where I make a complete idiot of myself and do wreck less things, like drive when I shouldn’t. Alcohol is ruining my life. I am glad I joined this forum, hopefully I will climb out of this hole I’ve made for myself.

42 Likes

Hey @Karen_Elaine nice to meet you. :smiley: how long have you been sober so far?

1 Like

This is day one.

7 Likes

Congratulations on starting your first 24 hours :slight_smile:

Here is a thread where a lot of us check in daily or every few days. I find it useful because I can see everyone else’s progress and it inspires me to stay sober. Hope to see you there :smiley:

13 Likes

@Steve92 thank you! I’ll definitely check it out!

3 Likes

Hi @Karen_Elaine welcome to the forum :wave: Congrats on taking the big first step!

Here is a useful thread on getting through early recovery:

(Surviving Alcohol Withdrawal/Early Sobriety Techniques)

And recovery-related resources that members have posted:

(Different Aspects of Recovery)

7 Likes

Welcome!! There’s a lot of great support on here! Congrats on taking the first step! You are worth it!!

8 Likes

Hi! Welcome :blush:
I too have done a number of wreckless things while drunk. Most I don’t remember because of blacking out, but the guilt and shame is the same as when I do remember. Congrats on day one!

11 Likes

Congrats! Keep it up

1 Like

Been there, done that…more times than I can count. But success is truly the accumulation of a series of individual accomplishments. One day at a time, one step at a time…
Keep your eyes on the prize, head held high, and most importantly, don’t interrupt the process. You can do this !!!

7 Likes

Really gotta want it BeccaLinny…I learned that lesson the hard way. Had to drink myself out of reservations. Finally understand that I have everything TO GAIN by NOT DRINKING…sadly and yet thankfully I had to lose EVERYTHING before I came to the conclusion that I don’t deserve to live like this…forget about what we put those who care about us through…WE DONT DESERVE TO LIVE LIKE THIS. Gotta want it more than anything you’ve ever wanted BeccaLinny. Gotta want to do it for you…gotta believe you’re worth it, and worthy of the life that dreams are made of, the life that awaits you…one day at a time, one step at a time. You can do this BeccaLinny.

12 Likes

Welcome to the boards! I can totally relate to what you are saying. I am so tired of checking my phone or fb the next morning to make sure I didn’t say or do anything stupid. I’m tired of worrying that I was running my mouth while drunk and offended somebody. I’m also tired of the wreckless behavior and I’m so fortunate that I haven’t really hurt myself. I have just come to the conclusion that I cannot drink at all…not even 1 or 2. None! I’m on day 3 and I feel like crap today. I feel like I am coming down with something and I’m so exhausted. We can do this!!!

16 Likes

day 3 is the worst! get past this day and then 2 weeks and then it’s time to start the work. relax for now (easier said than done) and focus on yourself and detoxing.

4 Likes

You are brave for making this choice. It’s not easy or comfortable or convenient but it’s damn worth it. You can do this! Congrats on day 1. Dig deep and be kind to yourself over the next few days.

3 Likes

You got this!!! Keep yourself busy! Read, draw, write, walk, run, whatever it takes…a better you is just around the corner!

1 Like

Hi Karen and welcome congrats on taking the very first step…you can do this!

Hi there. You sound a lot like me. I have been abusing booze for over 6 years and I’m tired of that life. I also wasted about $50 or more per week on bottles of wine and packs of beer. 12 packs were my favorite because 6 simply was never enough. I remember many times I prayed I would have enough money in my bank account for booze and gas to get home. I over drafted A LOT.
I’ve been fighting the most I ever have this year. At this point I have 2 weeks sober. Back in the spring I made it to 60 days before I relapsed for 4 months. You have to want it; like not just say you do but deep down want it.
This time around I feel more empowered than I have in the past. Yes, we have a disease but we get to choose if we let the disease run us or if we run it. I’d like to think I run my disease. I am in charge of whether I drink or not.
Let us know how you’re doing!

5 Likes

I’ve just got through day 3. Splitting headache all day and feeling foggy. But I’ve woken up to day 4 and feel much better. Like many folk. I’ve tried before and found an excuse to go back. My new way of thinking is now. I will no longer kill myself. Every day I stay off it the longer I get to live. And a better life at that. Keep strong and always remember why!

2 Likes

Welcome Karen! I am new too and just joined yesterday. I’ve done a lot if stupid things too in my past. You’ve recognised it and ready to change so feel proud of yourself for that first step. This already seems like a great supportive group so you have many people here to listen and help. :heart:

Hi Karen - I just joined for similar reasons as yours. I see your post was from a while ago and wanted to see how you are doing

2 Likes