Introduce Yourself

Sorry to hear it’s going rough. Hang in there.

1 Like

It’s a very life-altering epiphany when you realize that you’re an addict, but now that you’re able to admit it you can take steps to be sober and healthy. Not gonna lie, it’s a long, hard road… But with the right tools, assets, and support I know you can do it, if that’s what you want. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here is an executive summary. 40 years old. 5 kids. Wife. Dog. Drinking is my issue. Going on 4 days sober. Started drinking more after a 20 year career came to an end. Was unemployed for like 3 months and drank to passout at night. Woke up one night in my own shit and took it as a sign to wake the fuck up and turn myself around for my family before it’s too late.

5 Likes

That’s a hell of a wake-up call.

1 Like

Hello! I am a 27 year old single mother. I am addicted to alcohol, coke and downers. Started young at the age of 12 with drinking. As I got older I got in to coke with an ex at the age of 18. When I was 19 turning 20 I had my child. I still drank a lot, but had family to help with my child. After my best friend committed suicide, my whole world was upside down. At the age of 22 I got into downers, Xanax, restrols and pams. At one point I woke in the hospital with my stomach pumped and stitches in my arm. Yes I tried to has to die.
I was at a point where I was using all three at the same time.
But this past week I tried meth for the first time and stayed high for 3 days straight. I need to stay sober for my child and family and I want to live. To young to be this messed up,but to old to be wasting time on this lifestyle.

5 Likes

Hi I’m sue I live in England, today I am 21 days sober, it has been a rough journey to stay sober in the past, I attend regular AA meetings twice a day at the moment, my drinking is what I would call binges,but it is the damage to myself and family that I do when I drink, the f**k it button gets pressed well and truly, I blackout, I have drunk drove, I have ended up in hospital A@E,with no memory of how I got there, I love this app, I don’t have problem stopping drinking but I do staying stopped so I feel encouraged when I read stories to keep at it , well done to you all, my motto is keep it simple and keep it in the day /hr whatever you need to at the time, stay strong :muscle: all of you x

10 Likes

hi my name is Crystal… I have been sober for 7 seven days and I feel ok. my husband is in rehab but I had to stay with my daughter and try it on my own. my family doesn’t know. I’m sure they have an idea. my doc is pills. used to be lortab but now mostly oxy… my tolerance isn’t that high I can take two Percocet and still get high. but I couldn’t remember the last day I didn’t get high. and I would also get sick a few days after I hadnt had anything so I know I’m an addict. it started a few years back. I even his it from my husband for almost a year. I worked had a medical ast for 8 yrs. and the last year informed was in it all started.stealing pills from patients during a pill count patients giving me pills he’ll I even called in scripts through all my family’s name. even my husbabds sister and best friends name. guess what they all new about it. never one’s did anyone approach me and ask did I have a problem … when my husband found out he was devastated … although he was using I knew about it. he didn’t hide it. I wonder if he was so upset because he wasn’t in on it or if he really cared. we tried to get sober together but it didn’t work out. but hopefully this time we can both do it. he 29 and I’m 28. it’s time.

4 Likes

Welcome @cflbush, @Suez, @Sharon1988! Thank you for sharing guys, I know it can be difficult to open up like you have. :slight_smile: We are all here to support and encourage you during your recovery.

1 Like

I took my little girl on a day trip to Chattanooga,Tennessee and didn’t take anything but 2 Aleve and 1 neurontin Dr prescribed btw definetly not a problem with those I only took it because I knew my back would be on fire and I didn’t want to relapse with an opiate.

2 Likes

Neurontin isn’t addictive as far as i know. I really don’t see a problem with that. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m Karen and I use to never drink! I couldn’t tolerate the smell and taste! About 5 years ago we moved to the boonies, I left the working world, fell into depression and found comfort in alcohol. About a two years ago I realized it was a problem for me but refused to confront it. I deal with shaking, irritation and anxiety if I don’t have a drink! Here I am laying on my couch, teary eyed, feeling like I’m a failure because I’ve let alcohol consume everyday of my life for the last few years. I’m afraid I can’t dig myself out but I do have the want to change. I’m hoping this app will help!!!

7 Likes

@karbow11 Thank you for sharing your story! The good thing is that your willing to take action. Your definetly not a failure but a warrior fighting for your life! I believe this app can help you stay accountable! There’s plenty of people here going through the same struggle & can relate. Your not alone and you’ll find plently of encouragement! Stay strong, you can do it! Blessings to you & our journey together! Much love & hugs! :sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart::point_up::point_up::point_up::open_hands::open_hands::open_hands::smile::smile::smile::tulip::tulip::tulip::v::v::v::purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart:

1 Like

Thank you so much! It’s so nice to see others with the same struggles here being positive :slight_smile:

1 Like

@karbow11 Your welcome sweety! This is what this app is all about! :smile::smile::smile::muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Hey brittany, I understand how you feel. One day is a great start witch most non addicts don’t understand. I have 7 days and that can seem like forever. Just know your not alone and never give up! Believe in yourself!

2 Likes

Yeah neurontin isn’t addictive at all

2 Likes

Hello, Elliot here. I’m from Minnesota, 25 years old. I’m here to address my alcoholism. I have been dry for a little over 4 months and it is my first go at sobriety. My alcoholism became really bad when I started law school two years ago for a number of reasons. I have been to one meeting, but I’m hoping that this app can be a support group because I don’t know any other students who are addressing their drinking or understand why I quit. Anyway, I am really glad this exists and look forward to getting to know this community.

Thanks!

8 Likes

@Elliok

Welcome!
4 months is a great start…keep up the good work, it’s not easy at times but it will get easier in time.
You found a great group of people here going through the struggle and always here to listen.!

Stay strong…Stay sober !

2 Likes

@Suez

Welcome and your not a failure!
The thing is not everyone can drink alchohol and do just that…drink alcohol.
To some of us it has damaging affects and what was once controllable eventually becomes uncontrollable and takes over our lives in ways it doesn’t in others.
But that doesn’t mean we failed or are failures.

Stay strong…one day at a time! :grinning:

3 Likes

Hi all!
I joined the forum some days ago and I feel it is time to introduce myself. My name is Franz, 43 years old, living in Vienna, Austria. I am addicted to alcohol - it might be about 10 years ago when I started drinking. At this time I had a really good job, I had a relationship (ok, this was not too easy)… obviously I had everything to live a good life. … And I started drinking. When people ask me today why it happened, I do not have a really satisfying answer. It might have been a method to slow down after a busy day. But I guess it was also my technique to kick me out, to ‘feel free’ and to ‘feel independent’. I have been educated to ‘meet our social requirements’ and the fatal fact was that I was successful. Consequently I have learnt for myself strategies how to appeal to anyone in any situation. And I enjoyed job-related achievements as well as my sunnyboy-image. Sounds great - it was not. In fact I never did anything I really like to do. My whole life was determined to give a perfect appearance.
In the meantime I have passed several dehabituations but I relapsed again and again. Even if I knew it would be very important to keep the topic in my minds, I gave priority to any other stuff (finding a job, having relationship…). I guess it is something like a human protective mechanism to forget negative things. In case of addiction I might be a disadvantage.
Actually I still have my flat, I get social support that covers my basic needs and I can do my sport. That makes me optimistic to have sober time as long as possible. Actually I have my 10th day in sobriety and I am really glad to read and share in this forum.
Have a great day and stay strong! :relaxed::green_heart::muscle:

2 Likes