Introduce Yourself

Thanks John I didnā€™t know that

Hi im dave and im a addict from the uk ā€¦ ive been clean off heroin for 33 days but im still on a methadone reduction im down to 25ml at moment so im not really clean but im happy to not be using heroin ā€¦ ive been trying to stop a very long time but recently found na and its been a massive help ā€¦ im glad i stumbled across this app it sounds like this could help too ā€¦ good luck everyone ā€¦ we can do this !

3 Likes

Welcome @Dave_Mccall and congrats on 33 days! Note that this forum is also available outside the app form any device using talkingsober.com.

Hello @Dave_Mccall and @AUGDON12 :sunny:

Hi,
My name is Jess. I live in Phenix City, AL with my husband & 3 kids. I come from a long line of heavy alcoholics, & I am the family traditionā€™s latest victim. I have now been an alcoholic now for 12 years. I have lost friends, respect, and even health because of my addiction. My drunken decisions have caused a certain level of self-loathing that I canā€™t seem to shake. Since November I have sworn off liquor, but I still overindulge in beer & wine NIGHTLY. My 3 year old says, ā€œBeer is Mommyā€™s favorite.ā€ That breaks my heart because I want the family curse to end with me. I know that my husband deserves so much better than a wife that picks 3am drunken fights with him. I get over emotional when I drink & the slightest thing sets me off. I have put my poor husband through so much, and he has given me nothing but love & patience in return. I want to be someone that deserves him. I want to quit drinking to be a better mother, wife, friend, and self.

2 Likes

Hi @Jessina_Anderson and welcome! :wave: You can end the ā€œfamily curseā€. It really is possible. If you are not familiar with recovery yet, spend some time reading around the forum. Also very good educational resources are found here:

(Different Aspects of Recovery)

2 Likes

@Mel22. I too, donā€™t have an ā€œoffā€ button. Itā€™s all or nothing for people like us. Hang in there!

1 Like

I downloaded this app to get the timer and later discovered the forums. And have found myself trying to give advice based on my own experience as thatā€™s all I have. I got sober after nearly drinking myself to death and with alot of hard work, a stint in rehab and a year of aa meetings which have saved my life Iā€™m still sober. I hope people on here find the right path for them, staying sober isnā€™t an easy thing to do but itā€™s not impossible. Get all the help you can get peeps, talk to people in real life, go to meetings, see your doctor if you need to, be honest, and donā€™t look back, take each day as it comes and donā€™t sweat the small stuff. Peace out.

18 Likes

I downloaded the app for the timer. Iā€™m having a very difficult time lately, and figured the timer is a good way to remind myself how far I have come. Coming into the app and seeing the forums was such a pleasant surprise. Iā€™m still struggling, still battling demons, but I donā€™t feel so alone surrounded by people that actually understand, even if itā€™s just the internet.

6 Likes

@BendDontBreak welcome u are not alone for sure :slight_smile: we are a cool bunch of great People

1 Like

Hello. I am happy to join this sober community. I have already read through many of the comments and I am already feeling encouraged. I hope to find my place here.

8 Likes

What were your hardest days

Hey @chefdeyoe my hardest days were on and off for the 1st few months, in terms of cravings I think they left quite quickly but I got sober by medical detox so had meds to help. The 1st couple of months I was really angry and after that quite depressed. In my experience and this is mine (Iā€™m not telling you what you need to do) I needed to address the issues that made me drink and look at how I needed to change myself in order to regain some sort of normality in my life and get my life back. I was introduced to aa in rehab and have continued with aa since, Iā€™m 18 months sober now and have slowly built back my life. Drink isnā€™t something I think of much anymore and Iā€™m the most content iā€™v ever been in my life :blush:

3 Likes

Wellā€¦ Iā€™m codyā€¦ I am 21. Engaged to the most amazing and beautiful woman I have ever met that wants me to be the best I can beā€¦ i have come a long way from cutting myself, selling and doing any drugs I could get my hands on (Which were a LOT) and being homeless for a whileā€¦ I used to be smart and into art and helping people but I decided I wanted to throw away a scholarship so I could go ā€œexperience lifeā€ā€¦ so far I have managed to keep myself from having a drug of choiceā€¦ except weed. It always comes back to that one thing and it has led me down a very dark path. It feels like every time I try to quit, I am able to do it for a week and then I manage to mess it upā€¦ well my fiancee has moved out because Iā€™ve lost myself somewhere in the drugs. This time I hope to make it different. I want to make a change, I have goals now. Something to work forā€¦ yet I still managed to relapse yesterday. So, I am looking for support and positivity because I donā€™t have much of that right nowā€¦ so ummm yeahā€¦ thatā€™s meā€¦

5 Likes

Welcome @NotFaceless

Hi Robin!
Iā€™m Shawn. I grew up in a very abusive home. I could not do well in school at all, so I had to watch my classmates leave. Iā€™m from New Brunswick Canada. I am here thanks to a super friend who I just reconnected with after a decade.Shes the best!!! I had a smoking addiction, and a coffee one too. Iā€™ve told everyone that as hard as it is to quit smokingā€¦I could quit it before quitting coffee. Iā€™ve known good people throughout my life whoā€™ve gotten into drugs, and completely vanished into it. Iā€™ve known people who have came back from it as well! No one struggle is the same as someone elseā€™sā€¦similar, but different!

2 Likes

Youā€™re doing the right thing by being here! I wish you good luck with this, and I hope she comes back to you! Goals are a big part, because it gives you something to wrap your head around!

Hi my name is Gregg and I am 27. I have struggled for about 10 plus years with alcohol abuse. Mainly whenever I drink it was until I blackout and wake up depressed and anxiety though the roof. Wondering what I did or said , how I got home, how much money did I spend? Also, being in trouble with the law numerous times has not helped my situation. I received a second dui recently and that is when I hit rock bottom. I isolated myself from my family and friends who cared and felt worthless. It took me a while but I am finally getting help in therapy. I found this group today and it is definitely helpful knowing others can understand your problems.

5 Likes

Welcome @Gblunk90

Hello, I am Renee. Thanks for everyone telling their stories!!

I am on day one and a half with no intention of looking back. I had been drinking every night for years. The only time I really took a break from drinking is when I would be too hungover from the night before. I am especially excited to wake up in the mornings with a clear head and zero hangover.

I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks, I am slightly concerned that with out drinking, it will become worse in the beginning. If anyone has advise on getting through the anxiety/panic, that would be much appreciated.

PSā€¦ nice to know there is a group like this dedicated to help us. Gives me the HOPES!!

3 Likes