Introduce Yourself

Hi im dave and im a addict from the uk … ive been clean off heroin for 33 days but im still on a methadone reduction im down to 25ml at moment so im not really clean but im happy to not be using heroin … ive been trying to stop a very long time but recently found na and its been a massive help … im glad i stumbled across this app it sounds like this could help too … good luck everyone … we can do this !

3 Likes

Welcome @Dave_Mccall and congrats on 33 days! Note that this forum is also available outside the app form any device using talkingsober.com.

Hello @Dave_Mccall and @AUGDON12 :sunny:

Hi,
My name is Jess. I live in Phenix City, AL with my husband & 3 kids. I come from a long line of heavy alcoholics, & I am the family tradition’s latest victim. I have now been an alcoholic now for 12 years. I have lost friends, respect, and even health because of my addiction. My drunken decisions have caused a certain level of self-loathing that I can’t seem to shake. Since November I have sworn off liquor, but I still overindulge in beer & wine NIGHTLY. My 3 year old says, “Beer is Mommy’s favorite.” That breaks my heart because I want the family curse to end with me. I know that my husband deserves so much better than a wife that picks 3am drunken fights with him. I get over emotional when I drink & the slightest thing sets me off. I have put my poor husband through so much, and he has given me nothing but love & patience in return. I want to be someone that deserves him. I want to quit drinking to be a better mother, wife, friend, and self.

2 Likes

Hi @Jessina_Anderson and welcome! :wave: You can end the “family curse”. It really is possible. If you are not familiar with recovery yet, spend some time reading around the forum. Also very good educational resources are found here:

(Different Aspects of Recovery)

2 Likes

@Mel22. I too, don’t have an “off” button. It’s all or nothing for people like us. Hang in there!

1 Like

I downloaded this app to get the timer and later discovered the forums. And have found myself trying to give advice based on my own experience as that’s all I have. I got sober after nearly drinking myself to death and with alot of hard work, a stint in rehab and a year of aa meetings which have saved my life I’m still sober. I hope people on here find the right path for them, staying sober isn’t an easy thing to do but it’s not impossible. Get all the help you can get peeps, talk to people in real life, go to meetings, see your doctor if you need to, be honest, and don’t look back, take each day as it comes and don’t sweat the small stuff. Peace out.

18 Likes

I downloaded the app for the timer. I’m having a very difficult time lately, and figured the timer is a good way to remind myself how far I have come. Coming into the app and seeing the forums was such a pleasant surprise. I’m still struggling, still battling demons, but I don’t feel so alone surrounded by people that actually understand, even if it’s just the internet.

6 Likes

@BendDontBreak welcome u are not alone for sure :slight_smile: we are a cool bunch of great People

1 Like

Hello. I am happy to join this sober community. I have already read through many of the comments and I am already feeling encouraged. I hope to find my place here.

8 Likes

What were your hardest days

Hey @chefdeyoe my hardest days were on and off for the 1st few months, in terms of cravings I think they left quite quickly but I got sober by medical detox so had meds to help. The 1st couple of months I was really angry and after that quite depressed. In my experience and this is mine (I’m not telling you what you need to do) I needed to address the issues that made me drink and look at how I needed to change myself in order to regain some sort of normality in my life and get my life back. I was introduced to aa in rehab and have continued with aa since, I’m 18 months sober now and have slowly built back my life. Drink isn’t something I think of much anymore and I’m the most content i’v ever been in my life :blush:

3 Likes

Well… I’m cody… I am 21. Engaged to the most amazing and beautiful woman I have ever met that wants me to be the best I can be… i have come a long way from cutting myself, selling and doing any drugs I could get my hands on (Which were a LOT) and being homeless for a while… I used to be smart and into art and helping people but I decided I wanted to throw away a scholarship so I could go “experience life”… so far I have managed to keep myself from having a drug of choice… except weed. It always comes back to that one thing and it has led me down a very dark path. It feels like every time I try to quit, I am able to do it for a week and then I manage to mess it up… well my fiancee has moved out because I’ve lost myself somewhere in the drugs. This time I hope to make it different. I want to make a change, I have goals now. Something to work for… yet I still managed to relapse yesterday. So, I am looking for support and positivity because I don’t have much of that right now… so ummm yeah… that’s me…

5 Likes

Welcome @NotFaceless

Hi Robin!
I’m Shawn. I grew up in a very abusive home. I could not do well in school at all, so I had to watch my classmates leave. I’m from New Brunswick Canada. I am here thanks to a super friend who I just reconnected with after a decade.Shes the best!!! I had a smoking addiction, and a coffee one too. I’ve told everyone that as hard as it is to quit smoking…I could quit it before quitting coffee. I’ve known good people throughout my life who’ve gotten into drugs, and completely vanished into it. I’ve known people who have came back from it as well! No one struggle is the same as someone else’s…similar, but different!

2 Likes

You’re doing the right thing by being here! I wish you good luck with this, and I hope she comes back to you! Goals are a big part, because it gives you something to wrap your head around!

Hi my name is Gregg and I am 27. I have struggled for about 10 plus years with alcohol abuse. Mainly whenever I drink it was until I blackout and wake up depressed and anxiety though the roof. Wondering what I did or said , how I got home, how much money did I spend? Also, being in trouble with the law numerous times has not helped my situation. I received a second dui recently and that is when I hit rock bottom. I isolated myself from my family and friends who cared and felt worthless. It took me a while but I am finally getting help in therapy. I found this group today and it is definitely helpful knowing others can understand your problems.

5 Likes

Welcome @Gblunk90

Hello, I am Renee. Thanks for everyone telling their stories!!

I am on day one and a half with no intention of looking back. I had been drinking every night for years. The only time I really took a break from drinking is when I would be too hungover from the night before. I am especially excited to wake up in the mornings with a clear head and zero hangover.

I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks, I am slightly concerned that with out drinking, it will become worse in the beginning. If anyone has advise on getting through the anxiety/panic, that would be much appreciated.

PS… nice to know there is a group like this dedicated to help us. Gives me the HOPES!!

3 Likes

@Bill_Phillips - thanks for the feedback. I have never tried breathing exercises… I will look some up tomorrow. I definitely agree that drinking make my anxiety symptoms worse. There are days after drinking, my anxiety is so crippling I can’t get out of bed. :expressionless: