Nearly a year sober. 12 months nearly!?!

Ive only recently started AA meetings. Floating around really.
I struggle to talk to ppl, to make friends or connection - i was shy as a child it turns out at 35 that still hasnt gone away.
Question:
AA meetings - how does it work?
Are there regular ones your expected to go to? Like a home group and then extras? I noticed some are called step meetings others just open ones. Is there a list of types of meetings?

Also how do you find a sponsor? One that you click with?
How does a sponsor help you?

Basic structural information would be much appreciated.
Have an amazing wednesday tomorrow and keep strong

15 Likes

Congratulations on your almost year!!

Idk anything about AA, but I am sure others will help you out!! :people_hugging::partying_face::birthday:

4 Likes

Can we talk, I need a bit of guidance

1 Like

Congrats on almost 12 months!!

4 Likes

Hey @Ania congrats on nearly 12 months sober!

Aa meetings can be either closed = only alcoholics or open = non alcoholics allowed.

There are in person meetings or online meetings

I would suggest you try 3 different meetings and see if you like it.

The program works by providing support, a community, finding a sponsor, working the 12 steps, and working a more principled life.

While there is mention of god. The program of aa is not religious, but spiritual. You are encouraged to find a higher power of your understanding.

You could go into 1 meeting and share that you are looking for a sponsor and ladies will provide their numbers

4 Likes

AA works with one alcoholic helping another by sharing their experience, strength and hope. The only requirement for membership is the desire to stop drinking.

A home group is a regular meeting in which you become a member. This tends to be the meeting you go to the most and probably get to know the other members closely. You may also get a service commitment here such as coffee maker or greeter. A home group helps keep you accountable. It is encouraged to attend all types of meetings.

Step meetings are meetings that discuss specific steps.

A sponsor is a person who has been through the steps who can then take you through the steps. This is important because the program of AA is found in the steps. The program of AA has kept me sober for almost 6.5 years

8 Likes

Congrats, that’s awesome. Huge accomplishment.

And oh – I’m way older than you and still painfully shy. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Thank you. Thats laid out a nice outline. Ive been to 2 alone and they felt a bit untructuted. Just ppl meeting and talking.
This weel ive been to 2 different once and both structured differently. Going to another one tonight so im starting to see a structure to them.
Just wondering if i should have a regular group i stick to due to my sponcor? X

1 Like

Oh great, ive got that to look forwaed to for the rest of my life lol.
Alkohol did mask it for a while…till i over drank and then became paranoyed bout everyone lol. And anxious…so it didnt really help at all haha

1 Like

Thank you! Right so i want a home group with a sponcor and then work my way outwards from thar :slightly_smiling_face:

Sure message me and ill see if i can help

Finding and joining a good meeting is suggested. When I first started, I went to a meeting every morning at 8 am. After a few months I made it my home group. I would listen to people that I thought would be a good sponsor and after a while I asked someone to be my sponsor. Start with finding a good home group and go from there. Everything will fall into place.

2 Likes

Thank you. I know finding someone that you click with is improtant.

The preamble of AA tells you what its about and what it isnt , when you find a group your happy with and feel comfortable then you simple say id like to join. Help with the coffee and lots of service work later in you recovery , that becomes your network and when you get a sponsor and start the program that becomes your foundation , There are many meetings now share and care and step but im sure as you progress you will get to know these meetings wish you well

2 Likes

Nah, I probably overstated it. I’m not as bad as I used to be. I’ve found mindfulness very helpful. Learning about it and performing mindfulness meditation. It helps me avoid overthinking which is a big part of the shyness… For example, agonizing over saying/doing the wrong thing and/or what people might think of me.

1 Like

Congratulations :balloon:

1 Like