New: 12 days sober!

Hi there, I’m new here! This is my third time getting sober and I’m on day 12! I have had a lot of trauma in my life. I was abused on many levels as a child and have had to cut my father out of my life and keep up severe boundaries with my mentally ill mother. I have a 6 year old boy and married to a brewer who works at a small craft brewery! The first time I got sober, I had experience a complete breakdown after spending over a year drinking heavily every weekend and doing Molly a lot! I was taken to the hospital by my friend and was subsequently put on antidepressants and an anti anxiety medication. I immediately gave up alcohol and drugs because I was hellbent on getting well for my son. My husband still drank and partied but I was completely fine with that. Fast forward 6 months…I weaned off my meds with the help of a naturopath. I was doing yoga on a daily basis, going to the gym, eating healthy, going to therapy…I made the life that I wanted. I had a drink on my birthday, which turned into several and so it began…started taking Molly periodically, which turned into coke…that went on for a month or so and we decided to move across the country to start our life over…we lasted 3 months. I think we were trying to escape the people, but missed our social lives to much. Came back…was partying every weekend again. Fast forward a year later and I had found out that my husband’s drug habit was much more serious than I thought. He was lying and sneaking behind my back…we both decided to get sober together to save our marriage and for our child. We got sober for ten months, but lost many friends in the process. Most of our friends were good time friends and stopped inviting us to things because we weren’t drinking. We started drinking occasionally after ten months, but it slipped back into every weekend again. Through all of this, I have come to the conclusion that I have zero control over my binge drinking. I can go all week without a drop of alcohol, but on Fridays, I would get super trashed (no more drugs since 2015), and it would take days for me to get over the hangover. I would then be super healthy all week and ruin it all by day five. I can’t live like this anymore…I need to respect my body and mind more. My husband is still drinking, so this is a decision I’ve made on my own. Hasn’t really bothered me that he’s drinking…just hate the smell of his breath after he’s had a beer. Just trying to focus on the positives: I started a gratitude journal and have upped my yoga and meditation practices. Also drinking lots of sparkling water! That’s it for now. Just wanted to introduce myself!

8 Likes

Glad your back on track for yourself and the ones you love!

Sounds like you know how to get there, just need to work on maintaining!

Welcome to the community!

1 Like

Hi @Cuddles Angie,
Wekcome!
You’ll find lots of lovely people here to lean on and vent too. I’m on day 12 too - so you’ve already met someone with something in common :grinning:
Keep going x

2 Likes

Hi @Cuddles and welcome to the forum. :wave: Congrats on taking the first big step with 12 days. Thanks for sharing your story.

Here is a useful thread on getting through early recovery:

(Surviving Alcohol Withdrawal/Early Sobriety Techniques)

And recovery-related links that members have posted:

(Different Aspects of Recovery)

1 Like

Hi @Cuddles, nice to meet you :slight_smile: silly question, but what is Molly?

Hi JustL. Nice to meet you too. It’s MDMA…the main ingredient in ecstasy tablets…minus the other stuff.