New to recovery, HI everyone

Hello everyone,

I’m new here and wanted to write a little bit about what brought me here. Mostly for my self to promote self discovery and to start to understand my path. But I welcome all to read and comment.

First of all, I am 28 years old and I have been drinking heavily for almost 3 years, at first it started as a way to avoid stress and not think about the struggles me and my fiance were having. She was pregnant at the time and becoming a father quite frankly scares the hell out of me.

I managed to curb alot of my solo binge drinking at the time of my daughters birth. But about 3 weeks after her birth I lost my father very unexpectedly. He was stung by a bee that was inside his beer while he was golfing and did not make it to the hospital.

This is where my problem became a full blown nightmare. I spent the next several months drinking a 6 pack of tall boys by noon just to face the day (at work most times.) Facing the feelings was too much for me.

Three years later I have hit my rock bottom, after work Monday night I was doing some paperwork at my office with a bottle of Whisky (something I’ve done all too often) but this time I completely blacked out. I was awoken by a co-worker the next morning and I was covered in vomit and urine.

I had 56 missed calls from my family wondering where I was. And while I am completely embarrassed at the work place, the fact I let my family down and scared them all is what hurts me the most.

I haven’t drank since, it’s been 2 really long days. But I am positive and excited for what my future holds. I know it won’t be easy, but I think I’m ready for the challenge of getting my life back.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this.

Best of luck to everyone

8 Likes

I did a similar act a few weeks ago leaving my whole family worried sick not able to reach me. I was drunk and missed my family affair. I felt horrible to do this to my loved ones. Since then it’s been on and off until today…its day 1

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing Lauren, it is comforting to know that I’m not alone, sometimes I feel crazy and that everyone judges my actions. Sometimes letting them down makes it so hard to accept reality. And the spiral continues.

Best of luck in your journey. I hope you find the support here that were both looking for

1 Like

Welcome welcome @ChoosingLife and @Lauren …we all just have one day…tomorrow isn’t guaranteed so make it worth it. Here’s some links and reading material to get you started…

Different Aspects of Recovery

Hey!!! Welcome friend, you came to the right place, a lot of amazing support on here. Just take it one day at a time right now is the most important thing.

Hello
So I have been drinking since I was 12 and I’m 33 now. The last ten years have been the worse because I was in an abusive relationship. I went from drinking socially to drinking to handle the stress which then lead me to drinking to cover up the stress. Now I made it to the point where nothing even gets me drunk anymore and I just sleep. Which in my eyes is like I’m blacking out. I don’t like the person I’ve become and I need a change. Today makes my 4th day sober but it has been the hardest day because I was contacted by my abusive ex and now all I want is a drink. Don’t know what else to do…

2 Likes

@ChoosingLife Thank you for sharing your story. We all have them. I’m 4 days in but had 4 years at one point. Nothing but love and support here.

Thanks so much

1 Like

I’m on day 4 as well. Stay strong my friend!

2 Likes

Thanks for all your posts of support.

Here’s to another day!

1 Like

If your ex is contacting you by cell phone, block their #
As for YOUR sobriety, you can do this. You are a strong human being that’s been through many struggles and have survived them all. You can do this. Just a day (and even a moment) at a time. Come here often and we’ll try to help you anyway we can. @Lanae76

2 Likes

Welcome and glad you made a decision to help yourself- its one of the most important steps toward a clean start on a new day. Lots of real good people throughout this site and yes- you surly are not alone!! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you! I’ve made it to day 10 and I’m trying to take things one day at a time.

4 Likes

Welcome all new people! Many of us have been on this journey for a while.

It truly is a journey of either self destruction or self discovery. Only you can decide the path, but you will have the support of the people in this community.

Welcome, and stick with us as we share each other’s success and failures! We will discover how to beat our addictions!

2 Likes