Newly Sober

I recently have started my path to recovery. In the last 4 years, I have struggled with alcoholism and it has ruined nearly every aspect of my life. I have gotten two DUIs, lost a job and ruined potential relationships. My family has suffered along with my addiction as well. It took this second DUI and having a wreck to open my eyes to the wonderful life I could have without alcohol. I have been sober for around 5 days now. It will be a long road to get to where I’d like to be, but everyone has to start somewhere I suppose. I have been following addiction and recovery blogs to give myself hope. Reading the threads on here has lifted my spirits and has been helping me to get through each day. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and inadvertently helping this addict look for a brighter future! I know this is selfish to shine light on my problems when there are so many others that are dealing with their own struggles. I would love to help anyone and everyone I can.

11 Likes

And we are all here if ever there is anything we can do to help you.

2 Likes

Thank you. I can’t express how grateful I am for that.

Welcome @Lauren_Haley_Wilson thank you for opening up and sharing your story. Welcome to sobriety…it’s completely worth it. Here’s some stuff to get you started in recovery…

Different Aspects of Recovery

2 Likes

5 days already? Looks like you’re potentially through the worst of it!
You’ve admitted you have a problem, worked your way through day 1, day 3 and are nearly up to the next hurdle, day 7!
You’ll have drinking dreams, triggers, ‘friends’ telling you it’s ok to have a couple, times you forget you’re not a drinker, strong urges, sadness, everything’s going to get thrown at you.
But 7 days, then 14, 30 and then 60 will arrive, you’ll look back and think this period, NOW, is like some mad dream. A mad game you don’t have to play anymore.
Unfortunately, it comes at a slight cost.
It’s called one day at a time - but you can do it!

12 Likes

Thank you for responding with this! I have already had some friends treating this like it’s no big deal and just a bump in the road. It is a bump, but a serious one and something I can’t take lightly. My life depends on me taking it seriously. I am already having cravings, but I think back on how I could’ve hurt someone or myself. Puts it in perspective! Reading everyone’s posts on here really helps to keep motivated. I look forward to a healthier, happier life!

4 Likes

I really appreciate this and thank you

@Lauren_Haley_Wilson. Never fell like sharing is selfish you never know when what you have to say is helping one of us! I’m a lot like your story it took a lot to get me to face the reality I was not in control of my drinking. I knew it but wasn’t willing to admit it or actually look to fix it. Thank you for your courage and sharing. This weekend I’ll actually put my story up and let you guys know why I’m here.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Lauren_Haley_Wilson. I have lost 3 jobs so far because of my drinking. I have been pulled over while drunk about 4 times and never got pinned with a dui, but I can only imagine the stress that your going through with that. Are you in any kind of outpatient therapy or apart of any sober support groups IRL? I’m telling you, going to outpatient rehab was the best thing I’ve ever done in order to boost my confidence to become sober. I had to go through it twice though and detox 3 times and an ambulance ride but this last time I think was the most sobering because I thought I had my drinking under control for good… anyways I always feel like I’m rambling on here but trust me the people on here are so great you should never feel selfish.

2 Likes

I am entering an inpatient rehab in the next couple of days. As I’ve had two DUIs, the state of KY goes a little harder on sentencing. To avoid jail time, I have to do inpatient. I shouldn’t say “have to do”, more like I need to do. I’m scared, but looking forward to healing. I’m sorry you’ve struggled with this too.

@Lauren_Haley_Wilson. I went to an inpatient rehab. It was the greatest thing I’ve ever done. I wouldn’t be where I am without it. So go and get some help

1 Like

Welcome @Lauren_Haley_Wilson
Thank you for sharing your story. You are not being selfish at all! Your experience is every bit as important as the rest of ours!
We are all here fighting the good fight together! :muscle:

:star: Happy Sober Day to you :star:

2 Likes

Hi @Lauren_Haley_Wilson. Welcome to the forum and sobriety! Thanks for sharing your story. I easily could have a few DUIs by now, just got very lucky when taking stupid risks. I wish you the best with inpatient treatment it’s a great start, just be sure to have the tools you need to cope o be you get out. See you around! :slightly_smiling_face: