Sober and depressed

Hi. I’m on my four day sober after many years of drinking daily. I begin to feel somewhat depressed and not wanting to see people, outside of my work, as symptoms of evasion. It is normal ? I’m happy with my sobriety but now I’m worried about my mood. Im 31 .sorry about my lenguage. Im from Argentina :argentina:

2 Likes

I didn’t get out of my shell until 7-10 days after quitting. I did however, make myself get out and do things. Movies, gym, volunteering. Whatever I was saving on drinking I was spending on entertainment.

3 Likes

It’s totally normal @Her2k. A lot of things are going to be happening over the next 30 days. Some nice, to be honest most not so nice.
But in the long run you will be so much happier - you’re just about to change your whole life!
Keep coming back to the forum, keep writing, stay strong.

4 Likes

Welldone on your 4 days, its tough being sober but much better than being drunk, right? I was rather depressed before going sober, literally lost interest in everyday life. I would say i struggled for a my first 2 weeks being sober- lots of lazy days in front of telly eating sweet stuff, i had no energy to do anything apart from going to work. I noted a big shif in my second sober month, my sense of humour returned, i returned to my hobbies and passions. Alcohol literally robbed me of me! I wouldnt even considered myself to be a heavy drinker in comparison to others so maybe i was sensitive to alcohol… Keep updating us on your progress, and your english is fab :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Argentina :argentina: I’m from Peru :peru: :slight_smile: those feelings of wanting to isolate is normal. One day you’ll feel sad and next day you’ll feel happy. I’m 146 days sober and I sometimes feel depressed, but most of the time I’m proud of myself for making it this long without drinking. Now that you are sober, find things that you like to do. I started writing, reading and volunteering. These 3 things make my heart happy… find what makes your heart happy :slight_smile: good luck and congrats on wanting to become a better you :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thank you very much for the answers. It feels good to share what you feel and read that are things you spend during this process. Sometimes I feel that I have no energy, nor desire for anything. But it will be a question of time and patience. Thanks

3 Likes

Hi @Her2k and welcome to the forum. :wave: Congrats on taking the first big step.

These sound like possible symptoms of early recovery and withdrawn. Here is a useful thread on getting through early recovery:

(Surviving Alcohol Withdrawal/Early Sobriety Techniques)

And recovery-related links that members have posted:

(Different Aspects of Recovery)