Society is stacked against us

Movies, tv, social gatherings–we all notice how much alcohol is idolized. Today I found another.

A little bakery/cafe in the small mountain town near where I live moved to a new building. I went in today. The guy who sat me told me they have mimosas, beer, and wine now. The girl who took my drink order said the same thing. Then my waitress said, “you want to try a mimosa?”

This was 2pm on a Wednesday. This place only serves breakfast and lunch. They close at 3.

Being 13 days sober I’m sure makes me more sensitive than others. But is it really necessary for a cafe only open until 3 to be serving alcohol? And for every staff member I encounter to tell me about it? I was just hit by how completely supportive of alcoholism society is.

And no–I didn’t have that mimosa :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Yes, it’s everywhere. There will come a time when you dont pay attention or even notice it anymore. It’s annoying that it was upsaled at every turn.

Right?! What the hell. Normally I’d be offended when cafe’s didn’t serve alcohol. Like, “get it together, I have needs!” Your scenario would piss me off too. Glad you stayed sober. I used to love mimosas, it’s like a socially acceptable drink in the morning, like bloody Marys. No one looks twice or questioning why you’re drinking so damn early.

3 Likes

Where I’m from you can buy liquor in almost any store. I can buy a fifth of whiskey at a Circle K for ten bucks until two am. There are drive thru liquor stores too. Used to be “paradise”.

Yep…everywhere!! It is hard. I see memes all over FB joking about drinking. Especially about motherhood and drinking. No wonder so many moms end up out of control with alcohol.

4 Likes

You wouldn’t like living where I do. …3 shops on my street selling alcohol from 10 am - 10 pm :unamused:

Also in music as well. So many songs about parties and drinking :unamused:

It is madness!! Our cinema serves alcohol now, when did that become a thing??? Excuse my ignorance but what is a mimosa?

1 Like

LOL…a mimosa is a champagne cocktail mixed with orange juice. It is a very fancy drink for a movie theater.

I remember when I lived in Paris back in the mid90s that they served beer at movies. I thought it was heaven at the time.

1 Like

Once again, I’m noticing similarities between sobriety and veganism. You honestly have NO CLUE how much meat and dairy advertising there is until you’ve decided you don’t want any. It is the same with booze. I used to see these ads and hear those songs and not think twice about it…but NOW it is like a constant slap in the face.

3 Likes

Okay, so get this. The Vons grocery store I shop in regularly has FREE WINE SAMPLES sometimes! Geesh, like for free, while shopping. And I’ve seen someone else there giving vodka samples once. It’s crazy, but honestly I still feel like there is something wrong with me, rather than them. I know that isn’t true, but still am having a hard time shaking that feeling.

2 Likes

@Kareness that is ridiculous, haven’t seen that one yet. I am extremely sensitive to anything alcohol related. I see it everywhere now.

1 Like

I live in a part of San Diego where many people (not me) are fairly well-off and must spend a lot at that store on their fine wines and booze. So the marketers come in and set up a table from time to time. It’s hilarious! :sweat_smile:

Our grocery store hands out samples of wine too. Our movie theater also serves wine and beer.

Seriously, speaking from experience…there will come time in your sobriety when you won’t notice alcohol being around all over the place and you’ll forget what it’s like to be drunk. The maddening alcohol related stuff won’t bother you like it does with more sobriety time under your belt.

The day will come when someone else notices something and points out our societies obsession with alcohol and you will acknowledge it but be completely immune to it…you wont have noticed what they did… in the beginning it does feel like alcohol is everywhere around you just waiting. That feeling tho, is really within you. And it will leave you. And you will laugh at how crazy you once were.

2 Likes

Thank the lord baby Jesus. Lol

1 Like

The same occurs with meat- as if everyone eats meat (I do, but it is noticeable when you’re with a vegetarian).

I just analyze it quickly and move on. If you dwell on it, it will consume you.

1 Like

I have noticed over the weekend how much TV and movies have alcohol scenes. It’s crazy.

Ha @Meshell1011 you’re so right. The amount of times the TV says - wanna beer?, go and grab us a beer, and I instantly think ‘ye alright, good plan’. grrr